Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $1-a-gallon fuel tax

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    I have to laugh... I still can't get my mother to believe me that when she puts the high Octane gas in her Honda Civic that she is just wasting money. She seems to believe that it is cleaner gas. I keep telling her that if she wants cleaner gas, she shouldn't buy it at Sam's club and instead get it from Shell or Chevron (something with a detergent additive.) Oh, but that is too expensive... lol. mom's a riot.
    Don't feel bad my father-law does the same thing with his Honda accord LOL

its in their head

Water in gasoline...

I've heard of some aviation equipment intentionally injecting some water into the combustion chamber of some engines. Apparently, when the fuel burns, more of the heat energy goes into changing the phase of the water from liquid to gas, thereby creating MORE expansion, resulting in higher efficiency. Go figure...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    I've heard of some aviation equipment intentionally injecting some water into the combustion chamber of some engines. Apparently, when the fuel burns, more of the heat energy goes into changing the phase of the water from liquid to gas, thereby creating MORE expansion, resulting in higher efficiency. Go figure...
    Please show us one specific example.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    The only aircraft that I have heard using water injection was the B-52. However the B-52 is a turbine engine which doesn't compare.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Smitty Guest
    higher octane burns hotter, not lower.