Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Damage From Hho Use???

daveczrn Guest
    hydrogen is not more explosive. It does burn faster.. but not as explosive if i am correct.

Bigtoyota Guest
    They only problem I could see with HHO being used in vehicles is the use of salt as the catalyst. Table salt produces Chlorine gas as well. This could corrode engine parts, especially if you have anything aluminum on the intake tract. Think cylinder heads. The bubbler is supposed to filter the Chlorine gas out, but I just don't see it filtering enough of it out to keep your engine safe. Especially considering that most modern engines use aluminum pistons.

The best thing to use would be KOH or NaOH. KOH is Potassium Hydroxide, also known as Caustic Potash. NaOH is Sodium Hydroxide, more commonly known as lye.

Quote Originally Posted by daveczrn View Post
    hydrogen is not more explosive. It does burn faster.. but not as explosive if i am correct.
    I know it has less BTUs than gasoline... but gasoline doesn't explode. HHO does... quite loudly lol.

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoyota View Post
    They only problem I could see with HHO being used in vehicles is the use of salt as the catalyst. Table salt produces Chlorine gas as well. This could corrode engine parts, especially if you have anything aluminum on the intake tract. Think cylinder heads. The bubbler is supposed to filter the Chlorine gas out, but I just don't see it filtering enough of it out to keep your engine safe. Especially considering that most modern engines use aluminum pistons.

The best thing to use would be KOH or NaOH. KOH is Potassium Hydroxide, also known as Caustic Potash. NaOH is Sodium Hydroxide, more commonly known as lye.
    Lye, if somehow pulled into the engine would cause much more damage, much more quickly to aluminum parts. Last night I left an aluminum racing plate(horseshoe) in lye and water. This morning it had a thick coat of grey crust on it and when I pulled it out it was still crackling.

dennis13030 Guest

HHO & BTU Rating

Definition: A British Thermal Unit (BTU) is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F. This is the standard measurement used to state the amount of energy that a fuel has as well as the amount of output of any heat generating device.

With all fuels except HHO, this rating of energy contained in a fuel has meaning and is fixed. As far as measuring the BTUs of HHO, this is a different animal. HHO reacts with other materials. An HHO flame in open air burns at about 275 degrees F. However, this same flame when applied to Tungsten generates thousands of degrees very quickly. It seems to act like a variable thermal energy source.

ranger2.3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom240 View Post
    I know it has less BTUs than gasoline... but gasoline doesn't explode. HHO does... quite loudly lol.
    What do you mean gasoline doesn't explode?

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger2.3 View Post
    What do you mean gasoline doesn't explode?
    Liquid gasoline does not explode. Gasoline vapors do.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I think he means "Explode" like we have seen with lighting hydrogen bubbles. GAS bubbles don't explode with such obvious force.

Johnh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Definition: A British Thermal Unit (BTU) is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F. This is the standard measurement used to state the amount of energy that a fuel has as well as the amount of output of any heat generating device.

With all fuels except HHO, this rating of energy contained in a fuel has meaning and is fixed. As far as measuring the BTUs of HHO, this is a different animal. HHO reacts with other materials. An HHO flame in open air burns at about 275 degrees F. However, this same flame when applied to Tungsten generates thousands of degrees very quickly. It seem to act like a variable thermal energy source.
    I have a feeling that this is another one of the myths surrounding HHO.
    I THINK>>> that the only reason a HHO flame runs cool is because there is no carbon in the flame to absorb the energy and emit it as heat. In all Hydrocarbon fuels the carbon radiates the heat.
    My oxyacylene torch is not much slower than the HHO torch at heating tungsten to white hot and that difference can be explained by the energy in the fuels. >>> my thoughts no references.
    John

ranger2.3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Liquid gasoline does not explode. Gasoline vapors do.
    Oh ok, I just thought liquid gas. I knew that,LOL.