Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Damage From Hho Use???

Walt Guest
    VW,

You said

"problem that I see with his design is this... "

I say the problem was he had no design!!!! He haphazardly thru a unit together without regard to sanity and blew the H#LL out of his truck. I am with you. I do not think HHO will damage an engine under sane conditions. This was not sane.

Walt

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Spark Plug Gap and condition... Here are a couple photos of one of my plugs. Looks just fine. No indication of running lean.

1973dodger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    I posted this thread on 7/15/08 to see if ANYBODY in the world had ever documented a vehicle's engine being damaged as a result of HHO injection. So far no one has come forward to provide any proof.

Do you mean to tell me that with all the experiments, good and bad that nobody has had to send their car to the repair shop as a result of goofing with their engine?

Please respond if you have absolute proof that HHO has EVER damaged an engine. This is a challenge to all the unbelievers out there... Go ahead, make my day. I'd really like to know before I put HHO in my SUV that I paid $47,000.00 for.

Mr Smith,

I have personally installed a hho system on my brother-in-laws truck without an automatic shut off wired with the ignition, just for testing purposes and what could happen did happen. Yes he left it on for 2 hours and started it anyway, not real bright. Yes it did do damage to the throttle body and blew the air filter cover up like an inverted mushroom. we were making 2 liters a minute, so the intire throttle body and air filter housing was full of hho. Keep in mind the butterfly is closed with engine off, so no damage downstream, but the butterfly was bent up pretty badly. This is not a kid's toy, it is explosive. I am, however, not disheartened by this setback, don't know if i can say the same for the brother-in-law though. But a lesson learned.

1973dodger

1973dodger Guest
    I might also add, the test vehicle was a 1992 chev. truck with a 350 and throttle body injection. We installed the tube just above the butterfly.

1973dodger

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Like I said, that's one possible way of damaging a vehicle. It did not, however damage the intake manifold. This one, again was because of carelessness. It's like trying to crank an engine with gasoline in a diesel tank. You know you've messed up but What the Hey? In both instances these individuals knew better.

jimbo40 Guest
    Yesterday my laborer moved my truck on the job site, Toyota Tundra
    Idiot left the key on for six hours. When I went to start it the entire truck blew off the ground 3 ft.

Just kidding!

The battery had about 6 volts in it and the unit was still rolling out gas even with the key off.
    This is a really nice truck, and I used some not so nice words.
    Anyway I evacuated the gas in and round the whole area pulled the tube to my plenm from the generater, 4-5 good solid evacuation blows into the tube to air it, out hooked up jumper cables.
    (by the way everyone knows I run HHO ) And I've shown some how the bubbles pop.
    I had one guy say are you crazy i'm gettin the hell outa here.
    Any way.
    Turned the key and Booooom, just kidding again, It started just fine.
    not even a strange sound.
    So if that would happen to you, just pull a tube and blow some fresh air or stinky breath or whatever, but break up the heavy hho concentrations and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I would think this particular scenario of leaving the HHO Generator on would be common place with testers. I even did it once myself. I was programming my ECU with my laptop computer. I turned on the key (First Position) and did not start my car's engine. I then went about changing some settings for about 5 or 6 minutes. The whole time I was producing gas. I then cycled my ECU by cutting off the power and back on. I then cranked the engine. The RMP raced for a couple seconds and then leveled back down. I knew what I had done immediately. No damage occurred but the intake plenum must have had about 5 liters of HHO gas in it when I cranked the engine.

I'm considering some sort of in-line safety switch that is activated by an oil pressure switch or something else. I could put a relay or contacter on the alternator that would close the circuit only if the alternator was running or the oil pressure was up.

To help prevent lean start up I enriched the start up and warm up fuel mixture adaptation channels to compensate for a lack of HHO at start up.

The Evidence that I'm searching for isn't really the Accidents, Stupidity and other incidents as mentioned. I'm looking for evidence that properly installed HHO Systems are damaging engines. So far all I have heard (Other than these ACCIDENTS) is anecdotal evidence that is either unsubstantiated or untrue.

I'm sure that there is probably somebody out there who has leaned out the fuel mixture 75% and has got lean detonation but under less damaging (Stupid) conditions is HHO causing problems.

scirockett Guest
    A good option would be to wire the HHO gen off the fuel pump relay. This relay is only turned on when the engine is running. In newer cars, it's computer controlled (ground from ECU to fuel pump relay) and the ECU requires action from the hall sendor, or cps. On older cars, same deal, except no ECU is involved, and the FP relay requires pulsed ground (hey, go figure) from the coil (just like a tach).

This is a safety feature so the fuel pump is running ONLY when the engine is running. If you get in an accident, your ignition switch may still be on but with the engine not turning, your fuel pump is off.

Now you might think it would be difficult to wire into the fuel pump relay, but typically other power is controlled by this relay than just the fuel pump. most VW's (digi1/2, motronic, and even CIS/E) use the fuel pump relay to control power to the O2 heater, and power to the fuel rail. Either of which do now have power unless the motor is not turning, and would be ideal to relay a HHO gen off because they're already in the engine bay.

no brainer way to prevent this kind of problem.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scirockett View Post
    A good option would be to wire the HHO gen off the fuel pump relay. This relay is only turned on when the engine is running. In newer cars, it's computer controlled (ground from ECU to fuel pump relay) and the ECU requires action from the hall sendor. On older cars, same deal, except no ECU is involved, and the FP relay requires pulsed ground (hey, go figure) from the coil (just like a tach).

This is a safety feature so the fuel pump is running ONLY when the engine is running. If you get in an accident, your ignition switch may still be on but with the engine not turning, your fuel pump is off.

Now you might think it would be difficult to wire into the fuel pump relay, but typically other power is controlled by this relay than just the fuel pump. most VW's (digi1/2, motronic, and even CIS/E) use the fuel pump relay to control power to the O2 heater, and power to the fuel rail. Either of which do now have power unless the motor is turning, and would be ideal to relay a HHO gen off because they're already in the engine bay.

no brainer way to prevent this kind of problem.
    Modern Volkswagens have a feature that when you open the door the fuel pump kicks on and primes the fuel system. If you drive a VW you will notice a hissing or humming sound coming from under your car when you first open the door in the morning. That's the fuel pump waking up.

If I hook up to that relay I would be producing HHO before I even get in my car.

scirockett Guest

Plugs

Smith -

plugs look like they have less than 5k miles on them. Didn't the treg come with Iridium plugs? Why have you switched to generic copper core plugs? (well, at least that's what it appears to be.. ) Iridium's will last 80k+ miles while copper plugs are in the 20-30k range, but the way I beat them up, I carry two sets and change every 5-10k depending on how fast I eat them.. Keep on eye on that gap. it will change over time, and i'm extremely curious how fast. : )