Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Am Totally Stumped As To What Is Going On

I Am Totally Stumped As To What Is Going On

This has happen now 3 different times. I turn the Electrolyzer on and I get no HHO production even though I have power to the cells. Just an hour before the system ran for 1.5 hours at 50 amps. After it cooled off I went for a restart and no HHO production. I even bypassed the solenoid thinking this may be the problem. Between the plates I have 2.232 volts and across the cells I have 13.70 volts. I am clueless as to why this is happening. No change in the electrolyte either...

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeViper View Post
    This has happen now 3 different times. I turn the Electrolyzer on and I get no HHO production even though I have power to the cells. Just an hour before the system ran for 1.5 hours at 50 amps. After it cooled off I went for a restart and no HHO production. I even bypassed the solenoid thinking this may be the problem. Between the plates I have 2.232 volts and across the cells I have 13.70 volts. I am clueless as to why this is happening. No change in the electrolyte either...
    Puzzling? If you have suffecient corrent and elecrtolite between the plates you have to get HHO. Either the cell is airlocked with no electrolite or there is a short allowing the current to travel somewhere easier than the water. Do you have amp draw?

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

It must have pushed all the water out, when it cools off a vacuum forms

bigjim56 Guest
    I had a few instances of no production upon my early installation. I believe strongly that the cell pushed all the electrolite out and became airbound/airlocked. Check your electrolite level before-during-after a run of the reservoir. If it goes up by a huge amount, thats probably your problem.

What cured my low level and no production was moving the HHO effluent to below the reservoir level (bubbling), then it became totally flooded and has been producing great since. I originally designed the HHO from the cell to emit at the top of the reservoir - I thought it would be better as far as reducing the KOH contamination. I believe this caused the "cavitation" problem I wrote a link about a while ago. After I moved the discharge to below the reservoir level, everything returned to normal. No problems since.

Except foaming, I picked up the defoamer and added some tonight.

I think sometimes the electrolite can flow backwards and fill the reservoir and cause cavitation of the cell, I was ready to install a check valve at the influent of the cell when I first tried moving the reservoir HHO discharge and that did the trick. You will still get voltage readings, but the amperage will drop off and production will stop.

Hope this helps,

bigjim56

Angry

Pulled all the electrolyte out and refilled the system. I though I had the problem fixed when I found that the ground wire was not grounded properly. Made the fix and started the system. Was making HHO gas up to about 45 amps and the system shutdown... F**K!!!

bigjim56 Guest
    I know how you feel, I've thrown my hands in the air a few times already. I always seem to come back though. I was told something a long time ago that turns out to have had a lasting benefit. "If you get frustrated w/a problem and aren't getting anywhere, take a break, an hour, a day, a week, whatever. Even though you're away from the problem, your mind is subconsciously still mulling it over and working out the final solution."

This has worked for me many times and moreso lately w/HHO. Even while trying to sleep the mind goes after the problem. Of course this board has helped quite a bit also.

bigjim56

yea the electrolyte is a corrosive beast give it a nano space it will give you problems as well as leaks .. but we learning
    HHOinventions.com

I hate to think I need to pull the generator apart as it is a pain in the ass to take apart. The neoeprene gaskets stick to the plates like glue. The only way to seperate the gaskets from the plates is to use a butter knife. The last time I did it it took over three hours to seprate the 36 plates.

I wonder if I had a leak and a build up of crap across the bottom of the plates is causing the plates to short out? The generator is mounted on a square tubing that has a plastic insullator between the stainless plates and the steel mount.

Super looking cell, can you hook up a garden hose and force out any crap?

Well I got to the bottom of my problem. I removed the generator from its mounting bracket and pulled the plastic away from the generator. To my surprise the cells had been leaking and with having the hard plastic space against the rubber gaskets and plates I had a build-up of dried Potassium Hydroxide across the plates this causing the plates to short out.

I cleaned up the plates and reinstalled the generator and everything is fine. While I had the generator down I placed a turn on each bolt. I need to find a different way of securing the generator as I will have this problem again, then again maybe it will not leak again... It may have leaked the first week when I installed it and never noticed the leak.