Thread: HHO on Turbo Cars?

HHO on Turbo Cars?

I'm working on gathering the parts for an HHO setup on my '04 WRX. I'm just wondering what experiences anyone else has had with Turboed cars. My main concern is with water from the HHO accidently entering the intake and hitting the hot turbo, which would cause a catastrophic failure of the turbo. What failsafes do you have in place to ensure this doesn't happen?
    I also thought of tapping the HHO post turbo which would avoid this concern, but you then run into the problem of overcoming the boost pressure to inject the HHO (on my car I thought of placing it between the intercooler and the throttle body, which are connected by a rubber coupling that would be easy to connect HHO to, and cheap to replace if I needed to take the system off).

Quote Originally Posted by OUScooby View Post
    I'm working on gathering the parts for an HHO setup on my '04 WRX. I'm just wondering what experiences anyone else has had with Turboed cars. My main concern is with water from the HHO accidently entering the intake and hitting the hot turbo, which would cause a catastrophic failure of the turbo. What failsafes do you have in place to ensure this doesn't happen?
    I also thought of tapping the HHO post turbo which would avoid this concern, but you then run into the problem of overcoming the boost pressure to inject the HHO (on my car I thought of placing it between the intercooler and the throttle body, which are connected by a rubber coupling that would be easy to connect HHO to, and cheap to replace if I needed to take the system off).

I have a volvo 1.9L Turbo. Ok first off all forget about running boost and HHO at the same time...you will have nothing but a pipe bomb. I use an air compressor to open my internal wastegate and a backflow valve to keep the air in so the wastegate is always open...this will mean you will run zero boost at all times - Yup its about either performance or saving gas not both at the same time buddy. Also i have my intake tapped right before the TB...DO NOT inject HHO before the turbo or the IC.

Quote Originally Posted by mobman View Post
    I have a volvo 1.9L Turbo. Ok first off all forget about running boost and HHO at the same time...you will have nothing but a pipe bomb. I use an air compressor to open my internal wastegate and a backflow valve to keep the air in so the wastegate is always open...this will mean you will run zero boost at all times - Yup its about either performance or saving gas not both at the same time buddy. Also i have my intake tapped right before the TB...DO NOT inject HHO before the turbo or the IC.
    Well if I can't run boost and HHO, then that takes away a lot of my interest in HHO. I'm a gear-head and performance enthusiast everything I've done to my car was to improve performance, and I did the power mods knowing full well I'd see less MPG. I was hoping to run HHO to increase fuel efficency while maintaining current performance levels.
    What specific problems did you encounter running HHO with the turbo? With the wastegate open you will still create boost, you will just create the minimum amount of boost. And there may be a much easier way to keep your wastegate open than an air compressor. If you have a modern ODBii car you can create a custom engine map for your ECU, and flash it on to the car from a laptop. On the map set the Max Wastegate Duty Cycle to 0 and the Initial Wastegate Duty Cycle to 0 and this will ensure your wastegate is always open and your boost levels will be at the minimum.

Just realized something, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it until now. Can I tap HHO pre turbo? Turbochargers produce very high temperatures, will the heat generated simply ignite the hydrogen in the turbo before it even reaches the engine?

By brother runs HHO on his 2002 Chevy truck with a Duramax Diesel and turbo, and it works great, Guessing diesel needs help to to burn better.

Without HHO - 24 MPG
    With HHO - 35 MPG

But he's not using one of my "lowes dry cells", he bought one off ebay, a 6" x 6" 26 plate dry cell and made a bubbler from ABS pipe. going on 8 months and only had to clean the cell twice, and the cell runs 5 LPM.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Well if I can't run boost and HHO, then that takes away a lot of my interest in HHO. I'm a gear-head and performance enthusiast everything I've done to my car was to improve performance, and I did the power mods knowing full well I'd see less MPG. I was hoping to run HHO to increase fuel efficency while maintaining current performance levels.
    What specific problems did you encounter running HHO with the turbo? With the wastegate open you will still create boost, you will just create the minimum amount of boost. And there may be a much easier way to keep your wastegate open than an air compressor. If you have a modern ODBii car you can create a custom engine map for your ECU, and flash it on to the car from a laptop. On the map set the Max Wastegate Duty Cycle to 0 and the Initial Wastegate Duty Cycle to 0 and this will ensure your wastegate is always open and your boost levels will be at the minimum.

IF you run it pre turbo it will ignite the HHO before it hits your combustion chamber due to the compressed gas being extremly hot and the KoH and NoaH electrolytes will eat away at your turbo and IC. If you run it post turbo the boost pressure will either push back or let the HHO gas accumulate in the HHO cell or safety device causing it to rupture or explode especially if you have a cell that produces lots of HHO like 6+LPM. You can have HHO and performance but just not at the same time. HHO is way too dangerious that is why you do not see performance shops sell it - it explodes like dynomite so please be careful man. I race occasionally and even with my HHO off on those occasions I get 38-42 MPG average!

Btw...I dont have a stock EBCS so mapping the ECU will not help me since I am bypassing the solenoid. I have an AEM TRU boost but even with boost completely "OFF" the WG spring will give me 4 PSI so I had to use a small air compressor to completely shut off the boost...with the WG completely open you will get ZERO boost - its like running a stock N/A engine.