Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new cell configurations help

Jaxom Guest
    I've seen the concentric tube design called a "Joe Cell" as well, and it looks like a pretty solid design. The nice thing about it is that the outer tube can serve double duty as the cell housing, eliminating the need for PVC/Lexan/whatever you're building your box out of. I can certainly see how it would be tougher to build though.

dennis13030 Guest
    There is another issue with the "Joe Cell". The surface area of the outer tube is considerably larger than the inner tube. I do not know if this is good or bad.

countryboy18 Guest
    so it better it have the wall plates face in to each other or away "+()()-()()+ or +)()(-)()(+. thanks for any help.

Bwanar Guest
    All the designs I've seen have the plates in the same direction like this (( not () or )(. It makes the design more compact. This is (I believe) and original design of the Smack booster. You can check it out on Youtube. Personally having done both I prefer to flatten them out. You can save even more space that way.

Jaxom Guest
    I flatten my wall plates as well, but not to save space as much as to maintain even spacing, and make the plates easier to work with (as I cut mine in half longways.)

If you aren't going to flatten them, definitely put them all facing the same way, i.e. ((((( or ))))). If you cup them toward each other like (), you create a restriction at the top that makes it harder for the gasses to escape. If you cup them away from each other like )(, you will have less current flow at the outer edges than at the center of the plates. I don't know if that would hurt anything, but I don't see how it could help at all either.

Jaxom Guest
    Dennis, I don't see the difference in SA causing too much of a problem. It would limit the current capacity of the cell to whatever the innermost tube could handle, and therefore limit production, but I don't see that being an issue as heat seems to be more of a limiting factor to current that surface area does.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    Dennis, I don't see the difference in SA causing too much of a problem. It would limit the current capacity of the cell to whatever the innermost tube could handle, and therefore limit production, but I don't see that being an issue as heat seems to be more of a limiting factor to current that surface area does.
    I agree.

My preference is flat rectangular plates.

countryboy18 Guest

Smile

thanks for the insight with puting the plates in the same direction "(((((" i also flatten my wall plates. you hit the nail on the head about having the plates like () and )( how it is less efficent. thanks