Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new cell configurations help

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy18 View Post
    does it matter the way the plates face. there are no nuts in the middle of the plates that is spacers (blue) that seperate the plates
    This looks ok to me. The configuration is equivalent to -NNNN+ times 2.
    With as 12V system and 4 neutral plates instead of 3, it will run at lower amps and lower temperature. Even though the lower current will yield less gas production, it is a good way to go.

It is a good way to go because you can "dial up" whatever current/heat/production you want by adding more chemicals.

My only suggestion for this design is to minimize the space between the two sets of plates while maximizing the open space at the top of the electrolyzer. This will allow you to store more usable water inside the unit. Otherwise, as the water depletes and the tops on the plates enter the gas area, you will get less production.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    My only suggestion for this design is to minimize the space between the two sets of plates while maximizing the open space at the top of the electrolyzer. This will allow you to store more usable water inside the unit. Otherwise, as the water depletes and the tops on the plates enter the gas area, you will get less production.
    Like this. See image below.

countryboy18 Guest
    so should i run it or is there anything that still need to be fixed. what sould be the gap between the () plates i can just put more washers in the middle of the plates to get what ever gap that is sujected.

Coranan Guest

Question

I new to the plate design....Why do you need to install neutral plates?? I understand positive and negative, but the netrual I dont?? I use the spiral method and I dont think I have any neutral Stainless steel wires.

countryboy18 Guest
    if you search the forum you will find pages and pages of when and when not to use neutral plates.

rzone Guest
    Figure this out: 2 plates connected together by a nut is the same as one plate because the space within is electrically inert, or at the same electric potential. Your initial configuration is equivalent to +nnn- . That is 3-3.5 V between 2 adjacent plates. From what I learned until now, the practical voltage across one cell (2 plates) is about 1.8 - 1.9V . For 13 V that is +nnnnnn- (7 cells). Above 2V/cell the production will increase but the heat too, and the efficiency will drop fast. From what I tried, 7 cells will produce ~ 1lpm@ 13V/12A with 3mm (0.11") spacing and KOH electrolyte. If you need more gas, and still want to keep same efficiency, just add more neutrals and increase voltage (use a dc inverter).

Quote Originally Posted by rzone View Post
    Figure this out: 2 plates connected together by a nut is the same as one plate because the space within is electrically inert, or at the same electric potential. Your initial configuration is equivalent to +nnn- . That is 3-3.5 V between 2 adjacent plates. From what I learned until now, the practical voltage across one cell (2 plates) is about 1.8 - 1.9V . For 13 V that is +nnnnnn- (7 cells). Above 2V/cell the production will increase but the heat too, and the efficiency will drop fast. From what I tried, 7 cells will produce ~ 1lpm@ 13V/12A with 3mm (0.11") spacing and KOH electrolyte. If you need more gas, and still want to keep same efficiency, just add more neutrals and increase voltage (use a dc inverter).
    You can also run two units in parallel with that configuration to about double your ouput, the side effect is double amperage as well. Or you can run Two units as +NN-NN+ in a series circuit and recieve about 1.5 lpm at 15amps
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Circular plates vs. flat plates

As I can see so far we've talked a lot about flat plates. Has any one got info on round plates (pipe) stacked within each other or is this method to costly to design or just not efficient.

Pete

The pipe inside a pipe is a good design, its just as efficient as plates, maybe even more. It is a little more difficult to build over plates.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

dennis13030 Guest

Tubular Design

I think a version is called a "Joe Cell"?