Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term effects of using hho?

Delirious Guest

Lightbulb Long term effects of using hho?

Hello everyone and Please be gentle with me it's my 1st time ..... posting here.
    I’ve been reading and watching youtube videos as I'm considering to build my own hho generator cell and I’m curious about the long term effects of on demand hydrogen on a gasoline engine. What has me concerned is the possible corrosion and brittleness of engine components.
    1. Corrosion between the point of induction of the gas and its consumption in the chamber ie. throttle body, intake valves tec. – these parts are not made of corrosion proof materials.
    2. Embrittlement occurs when the walls of the cylinder become saturated with hydrogen ions – I don’t know anything about molecular structure changes to steel by the hho gas I copied this from an article on the use of hydrogen in engines.
    When you answer Please state how long you have been using it in your vehicle? What other problems have you experienced.

its not the hydrogen that destroys engine components, its the electrolyte u use.

Hydrogen in engines is basically safe.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

The amount of hydrogen we add is less than 1% of the total gases delivered to the engine.

Like mytoyotasucks says the electrolyte can destroy metals. extra caution should be taken to avoid any possible chances that your electrolyte does not reach your engine. worth noting even the vapors/steam can carry electrolyte

I can vouche for that. Have you ever REALLY cranked the current up, and breathed in those vapors coming off? I use NaOH, and if I leave my HHO generator running for a couple of minutes, in an enclosed space, with no bubbler, I can't breath. It burns my throat, so I'm sure it's not good for the engine.

I'm not sure if it IS the NaOH, but I know H2 and O2 doesn't burn like that at all.

Delirious Guest

Exclamation Is it worth it?

I was reading the testimonial section and looks like a 20%-50% gain in fuel savings is achievable. Which in my case would be a max. saving of say $1300 a year based on $50/week. Now the cost of repairs in case things go wrong such as worn out alternator due to increased load - $250, easy fix (oh yes I read the exchange on this topic haha) possible damage to the engine - $3000+? not so easy or cheap fix.
    I just talked to a guy who has had the system for a couple of years on an old van and he told me about smoke comming out of the exhaust once when it was drawing electolite into the engine! He got it fixed though.
    Is this why the car companies do not offer this type of technology? I still can not wrap my head around the fact that if this really was that good of a system why hho would not be in wide spread use.
    Based on the worst case scenario, Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
    I was reading the testimonial section and looks like a 20%-50% gain in fuel savings is achievable. Which in my case would be a max. saving of say $1300 a year based on $50/week. Now the cost of repairs in case things go wrong such as worn out alternator due to increased load - $250, easy fix (oh yes I read the exchange on this topic haha) possible damage to the engine - $3000+? not so easy or cheap fix.
    I just talked to a guy who has had the system for a couple of years on an old van and he told me about smoke comming out of the exhaust once when it was drawing electolite into the engine! He got it fixed though.
    Is this why the car companies do not offer this type of technology? I still can not wrap my head around the fact that if this really was that good of a system why hho would not be in wide spread use.
    Based on the worst case scenario, Is it worth it?
    Im working on a different type of filter, so even if the electrolyte gets past the bubbler, it shouldnt get into the engine.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    Im working on a different type of filter, so even if the electrolyte gets past the bubbler, it shouldnt get into the engine.
    A strip of Aluminum foil in your last bubbler will serve as a sensitive "telltale" for any E-Lyte contamination long before you woul see any engine damage.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    A strip of Aluminum foil in your last bubbler will serve as a sensitive "telltale" for any E-Lyte contamination long before you would see any engine damage.

BoyntonStu
    Ya i read that on another thread, and i dint use vinegar in my bubbler - always forget to pickup.

and about a few hours of running my dry cell there is electrolyte in my bubbler, and dont know why, never had to much problem with my wet cell.
    and my dry cell runs lower amps and temp.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Filter

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    If you ever figure out a way to make a good filter can you let us know! That would be great. My vehicle doesn't have room for a second bubbler.
    2003 chevy blazer 18-21 city, 25-27 hwy. 36 plate dry cell generator. O2 extender

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    If you ever figure out a way to make a good filter can you let us know! That would be great. My vehicle doesn't have room for a second bubbler.
    Ya, i post when im getting somewhere or nowhere with an idea.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)