Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have I done wrong here

Delirious Guest

Unhappy What have I done wrong here

Got started on my 1st generator, 10 stainless plates 316L 1/8"x2"x5" +-+-+-+-+- spaced 1/16" with nylon washers and welded on the ends are 5/16" bolts. It was cooking quite well for the first 5 min. untill the f... wires started to melt! The meter shows less then 1amp and the charger at 11.5V. WTF? is that enough to melt the shielding of the 14gauge copper wire?
    Any ideas?

Please show a pic of your cells out of the water close up looks like you have 12 volts on each cell

Delirious Guest
    Here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
    Here it is.
    I may work if you run it at around 2 volts these cells you made are in parallel

You were pumping about 40 amps into that sucker that's why the wire went up in smoke

If you need help on how to make a 2-3 volt power supply from a junk microwave oven just ask

WaltherPP9mm Guest
    With 9 cells all in parallel, all of them at 12 V instead of 2,5 or maybe 3V, your result was quite predictible.

Go on and read all the doc you could find here then you will know what you were doing wrong... It is stated somewhere around here, on an excellent pdf doc that the efficient potential for one cell is around 2,5V. Everything over that is only wasted energy.

I don't remember the link to that pdf (I saved mine on my hard drive after finding it somewhere) but I think that you do a quick search for "Panacea BOCAF Hydroxy Course" or something like that you will find it quite easily. If not, ask me and I will send you my copy.

There is a nice guy here who always complains about his Toyota Check out his signature.

Are you sure there wasn't a short somewhere??? That wire doesn't look like it melted slowly... It looks like it was a quick melt, which sounds like a momentary short.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherPP9mm View Post
    With 9 cells all in parallel, all of them at 12 V instead of 2,5 or maybe 3V, your result was quite predictible.

Go on and read all the doc you could find here then you will know what you were doing wrong... It is stated somewhere around here, on an excellent pdf doc that the efficient potential for one cell is around 2,5V. Everything over that is only wasted energy.

I don't remember the link to that pdf (I saved mine on my hard drive after finding it somewhere) but I think that you do a quick search for "Panacea BOCAF Hydroxy Course" or something like that you will find it quite easily. If not, ask me and I will send you my copy.
    Hi WaltherPP9mm

I posted the PDF file you referred to earlier in another thread ..... Can someone line it all out for me?

Panacea-BOCAF On-Line University - Hydroxy Course

Your correct this is a very good document for reference

Regards,
    Fuzzy

WaltherPP9mm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    Are you sure there wasn't a short somewhere??? That wire doesn't look like it melted slowly... It looks like it was a quick melt, which sounds like a momentary short.
    I recently experimented that. Even if I was well aware of the fact that it is useless to operate a cell under such conditions, my military/aeronautic designer background teached me a good lesson: "OK, design says this shouldn't happen, but what if?! Better stress it under controlled conditions than finding it suddenly blowing under your ass..."

So I ran 12V into a battery of cells in a manner quite similar to the one our delirious friend did

For about 15 minutes it runned producing a lot of gas and heat and then, suddenly, it "blowed under my ass" completely fusing my 8mm cross-section wiring. After waiting the gizmo to cool down I couldn't find any evidence of instantant short-circuit.

Oh, and many thanks to our fuzzy friend

Regards,
    Daniel.

Delirious Guest
    Thanks for the replys.
    There is no short and the amp meter only shows .95 amp before I shut it down (started around .35 amp) increased with heat I guess. I will read up some more thanks for the links.

Well, let's think about this logically for a moment. What do we see from the pictures? The wires leading from the battery, to the cell, appear to be melted. What causes wires to melt? Heat. Was the heat caused from the outside(air), or the wire core? Probably the wire core. What causes the wire core to heat up? Electrical Current. How much current is required to heat the copper wire to melt the insulation? (14AWG) Greater than 30A.

You say that the meter only reads ~1A? There is absolutely NO WAY that 1A alone could cause that damage, therefore, at least 30A was flowing through the wire. Why was 30A flowing through the wire? Under steady state operation, I highly doubt 30A was flowing. The only logical conclusion, is that there was some kind of high current surge, in far excess of 30A, momentarily. This could be caused by plates under water BRIEFLY touching. This would cause very minimal evidence because the plates would be cooled by the water, while large currents are flowing. The copper wire, however, would not be cooled, so it would heat up very quickly.

Look closely at all your plates. I will bet you money that there is a very small damaged part, probably less than 1/8".