Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing Foam

Reducing Foam

Anyone have a good way of reducing the amount of foam in an HHO Cell? As many of us know, this can be a problem if the foam gets into the exhaust port of the cell, and into the bubbler. I have an idea, but have not tried it yet.

Basically, you have two wire mesh screens, spaced about 1/8" apart with a good way of seperating them so they NEVER touch(spark, BOOM). These screens are positioned above the water level, but below the exhaust port. These screens have battery voltage applied directly to them(~13V). My "theory" is that as the foam from the plates starts to rise, the bubbles will start touching the first plate... rise a little, then touch the second plate too. This "high" should allow large amounts of current to flow through the bubbles, and pop them as the come in contact with the second plate. The result, is limiting the foam to the second plate, ensuring that no foam gets into the exhaust port, and into your bubbler. This is assuming that you never hit any bumps in the road and slosh the electrolyte! There are ways to minimize sloshing, however.

I would try this, but it's about 105°F outside, and I sure don't want to mess with it. How about some of our friends in the more northern(cooler) latitudes try this?

I use a hot tub/ spa anti foaming agent. Got it at local hardware super giant, "Menards" It comes in crystal form and only takes about a teaspoon. I have a 2 gallon reservoir so that little should not hurt anything.

try a few drops of diesel
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

drumacc Guest

Tried diesel today

I tried to mix a bit of diesel with my electrolyte ( 3 tbsp lye/gal of distilled water ) today, and it did help some, but not enough. I started with 5-6 drops per gallon, which did make a difference, but I went all the way up to about a tablespoon/gallon and it still didn't make a huge diff for me. It did seem to lower my draw, though. I used .

What is the stuff on ebay made of?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160345126320

Also - what is the standard gap between cells? Mine is 1/8 in...

Thanks

I have posted this several times, trust me on this one - HOT TUB FOAM DISPERSER! Just a tiny amount will kill all the foam in your reservoir. It's probably what they guys on Ebay are putting in that tiny bottle. Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by hhoconnection View Post
    I have posted this several times, trust me on this one - HOT TUB FOAM DISPERSER! Just a tiny amount will kill all the foam in your reservoir. It's probably what they guys on Ebay are putting in that tiny bottle. Try it!
    someone i know tried that and reduced the production.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

drumacc Guest

Going to try

I am going to pick some up today and give it a go.

Any idea on how much to use per gallon?

your idea seams like it might work however I would try using instead of a wire mesh. Simple window screening may be a better idea. You would beable to place more then two. Not have to worry about the big boom from using wire. House screening comes in all types. By being able to place more may reduce the ammount of production you would normally get. Some of the products on my main page do go to into detail as to fix this problem.

Also depending on the temp you are producing some of the screens would not work. One very effictive way I could think of along this same concept although again it may cut down on your production out put. Depending on the amount of space you have available to work with. If you where able to place in 4 half plates stagered this would cut down on the foam drasticly. Each tier would be able to cut the reduction of the rising foam drasticly. Another way would be if you could place in a coil to spin inside the cylinder kind of like a fan blowing backwards. Take a glass of beer pour it in as fast as you can then with your finger when the foam is rising swirl it with your finger the foam gets reduced. Same as the half plates the foam would break itself down 4 times before it reaches exahaust point

Quote Originally Posted by drumacc View Post
    I am going to pick some up today and give it a go.

Any idea on how much to use per gallon?
    I have never measured, I just squirt a tiny amount in when I first mix my electrolyte. It does not take much. As for reducing production, I have never experienced any drop, neither has anyone else that I know who uses it.