Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HHO generator efficiency

redDEVIL Guest
    Thank u. I'll check it out.

redDEVIL Guest
    To Q-hack : I've seen the attached videos, but i'm still looking forward to see the gas you are making. I'll check further in the youtube.
    I have these several questions for you. Do you have somekind of formula to calculate :
    1. How large the surface area of each plate needed ?
    2. The predicted gas flowrate ?
    3. The resistance ( ohm ) in corelation with voltage and current ( ampere ) ?

By the way, I have this 25 cm diameter enclosed vessel with height around 20 cm. How much plate and how much the current should be to create at least 3 LPM of HHO?

Your response is highly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by redDEVIL View Post
    To Q-hack : I've seen the attached videos, but i'm still looking forward to see the gas you are making. I'll check further in the youtube.
    I have these several questions for you. Do you have somekind of formula to calculate :
    1. How large the surface area of each plate needed ?
    2. The predicted gas flowrate ?
    3. The resistance ( ohm ) in corelation with voltage and current ( ampere ) ?

By the way, I have this 25 cm diameter enclosed vessel with height around 20 cm. How much plate and how much the current should be to create at least 3 LPM of HHO?

Your response is highly appreciated
    Unfortunately I don't have the ability to make video's. Maybe one of these days I will invest in a camera, but for now it is low on the priority list.

1. Plate surface area is really based on how much current you plan to push through your cell. My VSPB is exactly like the one that zerofossilfuel made in the video. Roughly 6cm by 25cm. I'm not sure what the minimum surface area required is, but I do know that the bigger the plates the more current they can handle.

2. I have never tried to predict the flow rate. I have always just built a cell and test the output. Generally speaking though, you should be able to build a dry cell that produces around 1 LPM for every 150 watts. That means that if your 18v power supply can handle it, you would need to run it at about 25 amps for 3LPM.

3. Ohm's law applies here R=E/I where R=resistance, E=voltage and I=current. However you need to understand that the resistance of the cell will change with temperature. As the cell heats up the resistance drops and the current increases.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

redDEVIL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    1. Plate surface area is really based on how much current you plan to push through your cell. My VSPB is exactly like the one that zerofossilfuel made in the video. Roughly 6cm by 25cm. I'm not sure what the minimum surface area required is, but I do know that the bigger the plates the more current they can handle.

What is VSPB? Maybe the surface area is having to do with current density ( not more than 0.5 amps per square inches.

2. I have never tried to predict the flow rate. I have always just built a cell and test the output. Generally speaking though, you should be able to build a dry cell that produces around 1 LPM for every 150 watts. That means that if your 18v power supply can handle it, you would need to run it at about 25 amps for 3LPM.

I'd like to focus 1st on wet cell design. I've seen the dry cell u made, and i think it's so difficult to built I hope i can get 3 LPM by wet cell. And What do you mean by 1 LPM for every 150 watts? Can u give me an example such as plate configuration, and how to calculate the power ( watt ).

VSPB just refers to the wet cell design created by Zerofossilfuel. I think it stands for Vertically Stacked Parallel Bath. But I could be wrong about that.

To figure out wattage you use the formula P=I*E where P=wattage, I=current and E=voltage. So for 450 watts @ 18v you need 25 amps of current.

Going back in our conversation, I noticed that you said you had sealed up the edges of just the anode and cathode. You need to seal the edges on all the plates to include all the neutrals. Any stray current will reduce your efficiency. The idea is to get all the current flowing from plate surface to plate surface.

To reach your goal of 3 LPM; I would suggest the following: +NNNNNNNN- get those edges sealed up and make sure that the plates are parallel to each other.
    --

redDEVIL Guest
    To figure out wattage you use the formula P=I*E where P=wattage, I=current and E=voltage. So for 450 watts @ 18v you need 25 amps of current.
    I'd like to use the available power supply i've got. So to get 450 watts, i have to make my power supply works at 45 Vdc. Which is, i can make it that way.
    P = V. I
    V = P / I = 450 / 10 = 45 V.

Going back in our conversation, I noticed that you said you had sealed up the edges of just the anode and cathode. You need to seal the edges on all the plates to include all the neutrals. Any stray current will reduce your efficiency. The idea is to get all the current flowing from plate surface to plate surface.
    Can i have this series cell arrangement ? Please see the attachment. Assume that i have 3 cells arranged in serries.

-NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+

The thing that i will concern might gonna be the resistance ( ohm ). I'm afraid it will affect the voltage and the current. Yet, i havent practiced it. But i'm gonna test it.

To reach your goal of 3 LPM; I would suggest the following: +NNNNNNNN- get those edges sealed up and make sure that the plates are parallel to each other.
    I'm gonna seal it up as you said. One thing i'd like to know, 150 watts would produce 1 LPM. It's based on your experience, right? Do you have a literature concerning that matter ?

Yes, that looks like it would work just fine.

also, the resistance of the cell is easy to change. If you have to much resistance you can always add more electrolyte.
    --

redDEVIL Guest
    Yes, that looks like it would work just fine.

also, the resistance of the cell is easy to change. If you have to much resistance you can always add more electrolyte.
    Q-hack,
    Have u ever tried a series cell arrangement? Coz i want to know the different between serries and paralel cells. I have tried "the serries cell" as in my previous attachment ( 3 cells, each cell contains 8 plates, works in serries, 42 Volts and 10 Ampere ). I wrapped each cell with plastic tape, but it seems the wrapping is not very good coz maybe current leakage was happening.
    The gas only produced at one plate where the electric went in. And my power supply was smoky at the wiring. I lately realized that i add too much NaOH in the solution, untill the resistance get too low.

I still trying to find a way to produce a very good gas production. What i'd like to ask, is it enough to tape only the edge of the plate without covering all the plates like u did in your video ? I currently use open bath electrolyzer. Please help me..