Thread: 304 and 316 stainless steel replacement

304 and 316 stainless steel replacement

hi to everyone
    im new in this forum and HHO subject
    i had done a lot of research about cell configurations, electrolites and other stuff and a im very excited about HHO,so i decided to build a hydrogen generator. looking for materials more specific stainless steel i found that 304 SS is too expensive here in my country(im from colombia) about 200 dollars for 40 x 80 inches plate which is sold only in this size. I found another stainless steel 430 SS which is too much cheaper and sold in smaller pieces.

here is the composition of each SS:
    304 SS

C Si Mn P S Cr Ni
    ≤0,07 ≤1,00 ≤2,00 ≤0,045 ≤0,015 17,00-19,50 8,00-10,50

430 SS

C Si Mn P S Cr
    ≤0,08 ≤1,00 ≤1,00 ≤0,040 ≤0,015 16,00-18,00

no Ni

What do u think guys? could be a good replacement?
    thanks

www.speedymetals.com sells 316 pretty cheap
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

thanks for your answer

the problem is im not in united states im latin america
    and i need find SS here
    thanks

rmptr Guest
    Gamerpipe,

I have no doubt you have access to the same Chinese stainless steel cook ware that we have available inexpensively in usa.

Various bits and pieces of it will produce the results you need.

Best

Hydroginist Guest

Material

The reason 430 is cheep is because it is not very corrosion resistant.

if you go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for 316 SS Plate the page you get lists all the alloys and there properties. The material that you use is what makes the cell. if you have to use a lower grade material you will have trade offs. The material will brake down and contaminate your water (FIX: Flush and replace water frequently

Your plates will corrode sooner ( Fix plan to replace plates sooner.

Even 316L will fail after about a year or so of daily use. what we are trying to do is not something the SS likes to do. We are ripping electrons from one sheet and sending them to the other when that happens the electrons like company and drag part of the SS plate with. Thats why if you have Copper wires in your water the one side corrodes and the other doesn't. You can slow down this process by flipping the polarity but with neutral plates its hard to make that work. So just plan to replace everything if you use lower grade materials. Good Luck and work safe

thanks for the answers
    hydroginist one question:

would be a significant difference in HHO production if i use 430 SS?
    is not a problem to replace the electrodes sooner, so HHO production is my only concern. other thing: which plate thickness is recommended?

thanks to all of you for your time and knowledge.

daniel2008C Guest

cheap and available SS supply

Dear Colombiano , you may go to a camping supply and get some SS cups or SS dishes used for picnics ( camping supply) , I bought them at a Supermarket in Uruguay ( I am far away too) for about U$ 1 each ... specially with cups , you may easily build a very efficient generator , is even much easier than building with plates. I built a +NNNNN- with cups, separated by 0.75mm with excellent results. , not too much heat , 16 amps , 1 LTM , and once installed under vacuum produced by car intake once , doubles production.