Thread: pics of my cell

grimr27 Guest

pics of my cell

ok i uploaded some pics of my cell this is after 2 weeks of running it in my car. the plates are set up
    -nn+nn-
    you will see that after 2weeks the -plates have turned black and the n plates are turning dark also but the +plate is still as shiny as the day i put it in.. http://home.mchsi.com/~grimr27/

Ronjinsan Guest

Interesting

I am going to rip my cell out this weekend for a checkup so I will be intersted to see if it has any of the effects on the plates as yours does! What are you using as electrolyte?

grimr27 Guest
    i am using baking soda. i may have used to much. the water was turning orange like inside of a radiator. this time i onley put 4 table spoons of soda im hopeing this will help.

Ronjinsan Guest
    WHOOOaaa 4 tablespoons thats waaay to much....maybe your cell plates are a bit wide apart!

grimr27 Guest
    o lol well im lurning as i go. how much should i use in 2qt of water? i went from 24mpg to 40mpg city aprox. my mile counter stoped working. i figure this on.. I drive to work and back 5days a week 16mile round trip thats 80 miles a week 160miles every 2 weeks on 4gals of gas =40mpg is that right?

h-power Guest

Ratio

I'm using 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of distilled water. Be aware that the plates design and location is a large factor, more-so than the total surface area of the plates. My first design uses 8 plates (4 anode 4 cathode) in a (+ - + - + - + -) arrangement and 1/8" spacing. At 13V it draws about 12 amps. It also has a cooling system that keeps the temp from spiraling out of control and driving the amp draw up with it.
    Pushing the ratio up to 2 teaspoons drives the amp draw up over 30 which is too much.

grimr27 Guest
    what are you doing to cool it? today i drove my car hard testing my accelaration and my plastic mason jar melted i just put some pics of the jar on my page http://home.mchsi.com/~grimr27/wsb/index.html i wanted to make a new cell anyway. guess now i have to.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Hi Grim
    I think h-power says it all, its best to work your way up. With a new cel l I normally start with very little electrolyte and slowly add more (dissolved) until I reach a happy medium between amps drawn and heat produced, without much runaway effect! I love your website, very nice and shameless LOL. The plastic jar pic is particularly impressive. A good lesson for the new cell builders who visit your site. h-power and I differ on two things but basically we are both heading the same way. I use Sodium Hydoxide and distilled water in very mild solution in my finished cells, whereas he prefers baking powder. The other thing is he doesnt like the neutral cell idea, whereas I have had more success and less heat problems using neutrals. I use a bit tighter gap on my cells of around 1.2mm, the reason for this is that I can use milder electrolyte and get the same results. Keep it up Grim!