Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lye?

jerryrig Guest

Question Lye?

What is the best electrolyte that draws the most amps? Just curious? Is lye good to use and is it safe to use, and where do you get it? I tired epson salts the other night, I was not very happy with it. Plus, as it goes with the number of cells, what is the best electrolyte to use with only two plates. + and -.

jimbo40 Guest
    Whats with the 2 plates.
    I don't think you will be very productive no matter what solution you use.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryrig View Post
    What is the best electrolyte that draws the most amps? Just curious? Is lye good to use and is it safe to use, and where do you get it? I tired epson salts the other night, I was not very happy with it. Plus, as it goes with the number of cells, what is the best electrolyte to use with only two plates. + and -.
    Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) also known as caustic potash is used as a SURFACTANT in many detergents. SURFACTANTS lower the surface tension of water! After doing a good deal of research over 3 months, I am certain that KOH is the best chemical to use in electrolyzers. You only need to add it to the water once. The electrolysis does not deplete the KOH. So when you refill the water in your tank, all you need to do is ensure that your new water is mixed well with the old electrolyte.

rmptr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) also known as caustic potash is used as a SURFACTANT in many detergents.
    Dennis, IMO THIS portion of your reply is incorrect.

...The caustic properties create the chemical action in cleaning products to break down a grimy substance.
    ...The surfactants employed enhance the ability of the cleaning product to keep that grime in suspension to remove it from the area of interest.

Plenty of info at Thegrimescene.com or Thechemicalstore.com.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) also known as caustic potash is used as a SURFACTANT in many detergents. SURFACTANTS lower the surface tension of water! After doing a good deal of research over 3 months, I am certain that KOH is the best chemical to use in electrolyzers. You only need to add it to the water once. The electrolysis does not deplete the KOH. So when you refill the water in your tank, all you need to do is ensure that your new water is mixed well with the old electrolyte.

So where/what is the best source to obain this stuff?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

ICEMAN.KCMO Guest
    what is the mixture ratio of Lye and water???? also, where can you find this potash? any local stores?

msheppa Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN.KCMO View Post
    what is the mixture ratio of Lye and water???? also, where can you find this potash? any local stores?
    The ratio for what ever you use is different for each generator. The best way to measure is with an AMP meter. Add a little at a time. With lye, very little. Add until you are pulling between 5 and 8 amps through the generator. The longer your generator runs, the better it runs. The amps will rise. Keep in mind that AMPS & HEAT go hand in hand. The more AMPS, the more HEAT. At 20amps, you will be around 140 degrees F. For those of you useing PVC for your generator, be careful. PVC starts melting at 140F.

ICEMAN.KCMO Guest
    I just played with mine today... I ran it for 3 hrs and the temps got up to 170.... they stayed at 150 for a while and then they shot up.... It was pulling under 15 amps...

I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of lye for 1/2 gallon..

also, does output increase with heat???? Heat does speed up molocules.....

The more heat the more conductive the water becomes. So, yes heat does allow for increased poduction.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Omega Guest
    I would exercise caution when determining how much KOH or NaOH to add to your cell. If you ever boil a generator over, you'll know why.

I would suggest starting with 1/8th teaspoon per quart and run it in the car that way. If the cell stays cool for at least 45 minutes, add another 1/8th teaspoon. Continue to add until the temperature is 150F max, then stop. Go slow with adding this stuff. If you get temperatures above 150F, I think you could easily overheat on long runs or with higher underhood temperatures. If you are hooked up to a vacuum line, the water can boil at as low as 160F (if I recall correctly), one good reason to avoid hooking up to a vacuum line.

As you see the level drop in your generator, you should add only distilled water, not electrolyte solution. Water is being converted to hydrogen and oxygen, leaving the KOH or NaOH behind. IF you add solution the concentration will keep increasing until you get a boiling mess.

Bottom line - Go slow, be conservative.