Thread: Dry cell gaskets

TheKid37 Guest

Dry cell gaskets

I was wondering if anyone has tried an automotive gasket maters such as this one from napa.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...asket+Material

If seem to me it would work perfect, is would solve any heat issures and should endure the electrolyte mixtures without issue. Any thoughts would be apprecieated and I will post results if it works out.

truckman1966 Guest
    I thought about using this stuff. Somewhere on here i saw someone use plumbing gasket material. If anything will hold up to alkali and acidic mixtures, i would think that would be it. a roll of that stuff might be 5$ but the rubber stuff is easier to work with and much more forgiving. picked up about 20 of these 6x6 sheets for like $2.29 each. Easy to cut out with a utility knife and not too much squish to them. Mine haven't leaked yet!

bmiller Guest
    Hi there, I could not find a rubber gasket material thin enough in any hardware/department store. What I tried was High temperature Silicon that I had lying around. I put a bead of silicon around the edge of the plates. I found 1/16" rubber washers at the hardware store and placed those in the corners to keep the proper gap when compressed. Bolted everything up and let it sit overnight. No leaks from the cell yet...it's been about a month. The silicon is red and I don't see any red discoloration in the solution to make me think its being eaten away. So far so good.

as long as they won't leak, which they're specifically automotive, they should work great.