Thread: Which HHO Generator is correctly wired?

Which HHO Generator is correctly wired?

I got a tank which needed work and the plates are wired. I also have instructions for a similar tank, bit it is wired differently. Which is correct?
    the A TANK

Or the B TANK

My main concern is of course safety and Hydrogen production. Any suggestions would be immensly appreciated!
    Thanx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Tank B is more correct for a 12 volt system. This allows your voltage to drop between plates where Tank A puts 12 volts across each cell. In other words Tank A will overheat and Tank B will run forever (or at least until it runs out of water)

If you rewired Tank A to match Tank B, then you need to make sure that you have 14 volts and not 12. Or you could rewire Tank A with one cell left out. You only need 2 volts per plate gap so Tank A has one too many cells and Tank B has one too few.

Tank A with 6 cells = 2v per gap (preferred)
    Tank A with 7 cells = 1.7v per gap (not enough to generate HHO)
    Tank B with 5 cells = 2.4v per gap (acceptable)
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Would your wiring suggestions change at all if I were to add n plates between each +- ?

Also what temperature would be considered overheating?

The reason for the questions is the previous owner of the tank had this video of it in action as currently wired (TANK A ) and it seemed to produce a decent amount of hydrogen.

So wiring Tank A with 6 cells = 2v per gap (preferred) , can I expect the same gas production level?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Would your wiring suggestions change at all if I were to add n plates between each +- ?

Also what temperature would be considered "overheating"?
    Considering the design of the tanks it may take a long time to actually heat up to the dangerous point, but if I had to guess in a couple of hours the cells would be too hot to touch.

Adding neutrals to this type of tank design gets tricky. The best option is to add 5 neutrals to each cell and then hook it up like Tank A. It looks like you might have enough room to do that with about 1 mm spacing between plates.

However, even if you don't decide to add neutrals, getting those edges of the plates sealed up with some form of dielectric will increase production. Stray currents will rob you of much hho.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post

However, even if you don't decide to add neutrals, getting those edges of the plates sealed up with some form of dielectric will increase production. Stray currents will rob you of much hho.
    Just the edges of all th plates?
    I've see others wrap their cells with electrical tape,

would using like liquid tape on the plate edges (Coating the edge sides) work as well?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

Just the edges of all th plates?
    I've see others wrap their cells with electrical tape,

would using like liquid tape on the plate edges (Coating the edge sides) work as well?
    I recommend this stuff. It holds up better in the electrolyte.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...210&lpage=none

and yes, you want to coat the edges of all the plates.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    I recommend this stuff. It holds up better in the electrolyte.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...210&lpage=none

and yes, you want to coat the edges of all the plates.
    Really...I happen to have tube of this stuff. I use it to make repairs on my boat. Cool!
    I will be using KOH for an electrolyte. It holds up cleaner than baing soda

I really appreciate all the help. I'm hoping to have this set up in my BMW E30 before the end of summer.

It was good to find a forum where you don't have to deal with ridicules and "theory quoters"

Thanx again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

Really...I happen to have tube of this stuff. I use it to make repairs on my boat. Cool!
    I will be using KOH for an electrolyte. It holds up cleaner than baing soda

I really appreciate all the help. I'm hoping to have this set up in my BMW E30 before the end of summer.

It was good to find a forum where you don't have to deal with ridicules and "theory quoters"

Thanx again
    Ya, I hear you. Though we have had our share here on this forum as well.
    --