Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Power Supply?

Blinger101 Guest
    Hah, well then. THAT was a bang. But a very succesfull first experiment I guess.

So, I managed to hook everything up correctly, and chose to use one of my dad's 18v cordless batteries. I have my plates set up in a +NNN-NNN+ configuration. I added some baking soda into my container full of regular tap water. I then connected the wires to the battery, and watched. At a very fast rate, bubbles were forming. My dad, who is a skeptic about all of this, was amazed. That's when he got the idea to ignite the gas (which was coming from the bubbler I made from a water bottle). We had added some soap to it to trap the gas in the bubbles. My dad dropped a lit match into the bubbles.

There was a bang so freaking loud, we could hear it echo from across the field. Considering we live in a crowded neighbourhood, I won't be trying that again anytime soon. At least not until I research this some more.

My ears are still ringing.

dennis13030 Guest

That Will Teach You!

It is still amazing to me that something like water that is used to put out fires can be so easily converted into something so explosive.

Blinger101 Guest
    After some thought, I've decided I'd like to make my next electrolyzer based off of ZeroFossilFuel's design. I've watched all of his videos in his little playlist tutorial on YouTube, and he's provided plenty of detail. While I'm looking for a place that will get me the SS plates I need, I've decided on what kind of power supply I'll be using (for home purposes, until such time when I'm confident enough to hook it up in my car).

Since I'm a computer hardware whiz, I know how to handle PC power supplies. I've also got some general electronics experience from years ago in high school. I'm going to be getting a decent PC power supply (I've narrowed it down to one that supplies +12V at 18A) and modding it to provided some clean DC power. That should be safe enough, as long as I keep the amperage to the electrolyzer within 18A.

Also, what do you guys think of ZFF's cell design? He's been getting some solid results which I'm certain I can reproduce. Of course I'll be customizing my own version, but the plate setup will remain the same.