Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Bullet-proof" stainless steel plate

Omega Guest

"Bullet-proof" stainless steel plate

I got a nice piece of SS at a local scrap place that was labeled (in ball point pen) "316". It's 11"x20" and .048" thick. I live in an area with very little industry and have been having a hard time locating anyone with a press break (big shear).

I thought I'd give it a go with my jig saw and a nice new Bosch blade, made for metal. I melted one and wore the teeth off of the second one in about an inch! This stuff is really tough! To cut out the plates I want out of this sheet, I would need to cut about 120" at least. The jig saw is out unless there are some "magic" blades out there.

Any suggestions???

93turbo_animal Guest
    Are there any welding places or maybe an auto shop or maybe a neighbor one of those might have a plasma cutter

Omega Guest
    If I can't find a press break to do the job, plasma is the next alternative.

I hope plasma will leave a clean edge!

(When I lived in "the big city" this would have been easy! )

mikestrikes Guest
    If you can get a straight cut with a plasma cutter it will leave a dark gray crusty edge that needs dressing up with a sander.
    And yeah SS can be cut with a Jig Saw but you have to go slow and use cutting oil, but even then I wouldnt try and cut the plates needed for a cell with it.
    Find a shear !

If you have an air compressor, you can pick up an angle grinder or cut off tool that will do the job. Both are inexpensive and easy to use, but you may also want to consider building a sort of jig for that 120" run.

Angle grinder and cut off tools are like over sized dremel tools, except they typically are powered by the air compressor.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

mikestrikes Guest
    I use a die grinder with 3" cut off wheels, I dont even cut all the way through but cut a groove and bend it till be comes off kinda like cutting glass. Then dress the edges smooth.

Omega Guest
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I can tell I'm not the only one thats had a struggle with SS.

mikestrikes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I can tell I'm not the only one thats had a struggle with SS.
    Yeah I use to weld for a SS tank maker and we had to cut out holes after we welded them up, man that wasnt the days I look back on and say I loved my job..

cougar gt-e Guest
    You can try and find someone with water jet cutting --> real cool tech and leaves a nice edge.

daveczrn Guest
    there's a guy just a few minutes from me with a water jet... those things kick ass