Thread: New guy ramblings (96 Honda w/ dual 6 plate cell) 53% more MPG...

midnight cruise Guest

Talking New guy ramblings (96 Honda w/ dual 6 plate cell) 53% more MPG...

I have been working with ridelong on my 96 Honda and after installing a 1 quart - dual 6 plate cell - HHO generator I saw a 53% MPG improvement!

This Honda has a 2.2L engine... and making the following assumptions:

1. An 80% fresh mixture intake rate (combustion chamber size, egr system, and back pressure will keep the cylinder from purging 100% of the exhaust gas).

2. Average RPM's on the highway = 2600 RPM (gearing in this Honda stinks for highway driving)

3. resulting airflow required = 2600/2 * 2.2 * 0.80 = 2288 L/min

4. My cell is producing about 3 L/min (of gas and vapor).

5. This means 0.13% of the intake is HHO.

My question is: How does this small amount of HHO cause that great of an increase?

I hypothesize that the HHO accelerates the ignition of the fuel mixture an causes a more efficient burn.

Now I plan on increasing the HHO production till the MPG no longer improves I suspect there is a point where the efficiency will max out, but there will be long term problems running at this level.

I am familiar with GM PCM's so some of the following may not be true for other manufactures.

I plan on building a Chevy Caviler from the bottom up for HHO. Here are some of the longterm problems/solutions I have been pondering:

P1. Valves will pit due to the steam produced.
    S1. Use stainless or tridium valves.

P2. O2 sensors need 600 deg F exhaust gas to read correctly.
    S2. Use a wide band O2 sensor. Typical wide band sensors have a built in heater since they require 1292 to 1472 degrees F versus about 600 degrees F for ordinary oxygen sensors. Design a circuit to convert the wide band output to narrow band style output. Note: Additional current is drawn by the wide band device (8-10 amps).

P3. Need more power to run the HHO cells.
    S3. Relocate and replace the AC compressor with an electric one and put a 2nd alternator where the ac compressor was.

P4. Injecting higher amounts HHO into the intake will cause the MAP and MAF readings to mismatch and should throw a code (like when there is a vacuum leak).
    S4. Use a flow meter on the HHO generator to electrically construct an offset for the MAP. Note: the MAF/IAT/O2 is used to keep the air to fuel ratio correct and in closed loop mode the MAF has the largest effect on the air to fuel. The MAP is used during warm-up and to cross check the MAF.

P5. Backfire into the intake could be catastrophic if it is full of HHO/Fuel mix.
    S5. Tap into the runners on the intake with a separate flame arrestor for each runner (at the injection point). This way only each runner will have a smaller volume of HHO (not the entire intake).

P6. Don't want the HHO to be generated when there is no draw from the engine.
    S6. Use a vacuum switch on the fill port of the HHO generator to trigger HHO production.

P7. Water freezes and I'm not sure what to do with this system in the winter!!!
    S7. None at this time.

Other...
    Header, muffler, and all the exhaust needs to be stainless (additional water left in the system will rot it quickly from the inside).
    To push the maximum amount of heat to the cat, the headers will need to be ceramic coated.
    Stock cat will not operate correctly... will use high flow spiral wound cat (they operate at a lower temperature and with lower O2 rates).

I have more questions then answers, but over the next year I hope to test many theories and have some fun creating a fuel efficient ride.

Suggestions are welcome and wanted. I have a bit of experience with engines and reprogramming OBDI and OBDII GM PCM's. I also have resources to allow for lots of construction/experimentation.

Rambling over

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

DUDE!!

Right fu@kin' on! Great job!

Looks like you've got everything under control, keep up the great work!

daveczrn Guest
    mind showing some pictures and maybe a video of your setup?

stickittoopec Guest
    Can you share more details on the electrolyzer?
    What method did you use to calculate the production?

shortstack Guest
    where's the pictures?