Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and need help!

Question I'm new and need help!

Hello All!

I'm not only new to this forum, but also to the HHO concept in it's entirety. A friend of mine introduced it to me and he is also new to this as well.

From the limited research I've done, I've seen that there are some people out there who have made some amazing improvements to their MPG.

Well I've completed a small generator and have added it to my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It's been on for about two weeks and I haven't really noticed much of an improvment at all.

I DO know that my cell is primitive and does not put out a huge amount of gas. As I'm working out the bugs, I've come to a big question. As I have it now, the HHO feed hose goes in after my air box, right before my MAF. I have a supercharged engine and I figured that the blower would have somewhat of a suction to pull the HHO out of my generator. At the very least, the pressure of the expanding gas in the generator would push it's way into my intake and it'd be a done deal. I've also heard that people have coupled their feed hoses into an air vacuum line on the manifold so that you have the full suction of the engine pulling the HHO into your engine. From what I've seen, this option necessitates a method to prevent flashback such as check valves and/or a bubbler, etc.

My question to all of you is: Will I notice a considerable difference putting my feed hose in the manifold vacuum lines, or is it fine how it is just being feed just after the air box, before the MAF? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

We who have been here for awhile have learned that most peoples first attempt is not usually very good. Leaks are your worst enemey. Hydrogen is smaller than air or water. Meaning, that Hydrogen will leak through holes that water cant fit through. You injection should be after the MAF. You can run your hose into the air intake, past the filter and allow it to terminate just past the maf
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Here are some pictures of my cell and where I have it going on the intake.

The black hose going into the large chrome pipe is the feeder tube going into my intake right before the MAF.

Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

No gains.

justaguy Guest
    Did you test your generator for LPM before installing ? You need to make sure its putting out enough lpm or it won,t do any good. You need 1 lpm or at least close to that. If its not, try adding more electrolite until the amps get up to 15 or more .

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Did you test your generator for LPM before installing ? You need to make sure its putting out enough lpm or it won,t do any good. You need 1 lpm or at least close to that. If its not, try adding more electrolite until the amps get up to 15 or more .
    just be careful that the unit doesnt overheat... adding too much electrolyte can overdraw the current and ruin ur setup... make sure u use thick enough wires to be able to withstand the amperage as well

SmoothieV Guest
    Did you put that generator in your trunk? No issues running the tubes underneath the car???

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I see that you are probably using baking soda based on the color of the water in your viewing hole. I would switch to Sodium Hydroxide or Potassium Hydroxide immediately if I were you. If you have finished bench testing and are ready to move to your car already then you will need a cleaner system, less maintenance and more output with less amp draw. Using a better electrolyte will help give you those results. Switching to Roebic drain cleaner (Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener 100% sodium hydroxide) will save you a lot of time and headache. Your blower will not produce a significant vacuum as to effect the output of the cylinder. The only way it will begin to produce a significant vacuum on the cylinder is if you get a dirty air filter element. You may, however, notice that your water evaporates more quickly because of the supercharger suction.

Exclamation Thank you!

Wow! I can tell that I'm going to learn VOLUMES from you all; thank you so much for your responses!

justaguy,

I didn't learn how to test LPM until just yesterday afternoon, so I ran out and got some bottles so that I can. As soon as I'm have it put together and tested, I will post the results. Out of curiousity (this is a question for everyone), what would you say is the "average" LPM for one cell that people are achieving? That would give me something to shoot for as I modify the different variables.

bigapple,

I ran this for an hour on a benchtest and the max temperature was just under 100 degrees. Right now I have 14 guage wire and a 10 amp fuse. My friend who helped me build this model has the same one in his car and he said it draws no more than 1.5 amps. From what I've read, I'm guessing this this is probably very weak.

SmoothieV,

No, this is sitting at the feet of the front passenger. The feeder hose goes through the firewall and plugs right into the cell. My plan is to put it behind the center console. I was going to put the cell under my hood, but I've heard that the more heat you have, the less gas you produce. With engine temps of 180-195, I figured I'd benefit from having the cell away from that intense heat. If someone can shed some understanding for me on if I have a misconception, that would be great!

Smith03Jetta,

Bingo! I'm using two teaspoons of baking soda per gallon of distilled water. This cell maybe contains about a quart of electrolyte.
    Here's my question for you about your suggestions. I read that baking soda and distilled water is the "safest" of all the options, although not the most efficient. I've heard that using any kind of sodium produces chlorine gas which is extremely toxic. In the event that my cell sprung a leak, and is in the interior of my vehicle, I would be VERY leary about putting that in there.
    My second question to you is do the biproducts of your electrolyte have any adverse affect on the engine parts? I know that GM did a very poor job in selecting gasket material for my particular vehicle. Does Sodium Hydroxide (or any other sodium mixture) pose any threat to weaker components like plastic, rubber, iron, that it may come in contact with?

Also, based on your comments about the supercharger, would you say that I'm okay with my feeder hose where it is?

Thank you everyone for the continued responses and education! I can't wait to get the bugs worked out and really enjoy the benefits of this!

No gains.

scottyhho Guest
    I wrapped my generator with a heat blanket and then some electrical tape to hold it in place. That should help with the engine heat. Personally, i would find SOMEWHERE to put this in your engine compartment. If i had a leak or something, i would much rather have it in my engine instead of my interior...

My amp tester should've arrived today, so I'll test my cell tonight and post the results tomorrow.

No gains.