Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Power supply anyone?

I'll buy one for sure. I think I paid nearly $300 for my Astron VS-70M, but it's pretty sweet and I hate using it to power my electrolyzer.
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"

I would like one as well. Let us know when they are available.

Count me in on this project also..
    My Old Volvo battery and Battery Charger sure are getting TIRED....
    Let us know when you are getting close Phil.
    I'm INTERESTED...

hurry the F up Phill. Using a battery charger for testing is getting old, and its just not accurate.
    you take you time as if you have a job or something. we all know you just sit at home and smoke your home made water bong, listen to reggae music, and eat cheetos alllll daaayyy loooonnnggg
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Quote Originally Posted by Helz_McFugly View Post
    hurry the F up Phill. Using a battery charger for testing is getting old, and its just not accurate.
    you take you time as if you have a job or something. we all know you just sit at home and smoke your home made water bong, listen to reggae music, and eat cheetos alllll daaayyy loooonnnggg
    YEAH, what he said!

They aren't cheeto's. It's either trail mix or honey buns. Best munchie food ever.

As for the project... I'm waiting on some new high-voltage MOSFETs to come in. The slightest little screw up, and these things instantly smoke out my shop. The trail mix and honey buns are broken out immediately thereafter. LOL

Another big draw back is related to my "Hulk" PWM. Since these two devices are closely related, the bug in my PWM also applies to the DC Power Supply... So, until I get THAT worked out, the DC Power Supply isn't taking off... I'll post updates here a bit more often from now on.

I have a ton of transformers from microwave ovens if you remove the secondary you can wind your own with #8 wire and two 100 amps diodes throw a filter cap on, to vary the voltage use a light dimmer in the primary or use a second transformer and then put it's secondary in series with the primary of the other one and it will act as a bucking transformer to vary the voltage

If you want one let me know and i will send one for free, just pay the postage

if you don't know how to do it just ask

Using a transformer will isolate you from the AC power

Gary

Ok, bad news... You guys have influenced me to start working on this PS a more. I've been running some simulations and it's not that pretty...

1) It's looking like the power rating of this thing is going to be lower than I had hoped. Probably about 1kW... Maybe less.
    Reason: Multiple - The capacitor needed for LARGE loads is ridiculously expensive. Just looking at Mouser.com, the very minimum I would need for 1kW is already $14, and I'll probably end up needing two of them. That doesn't sound like THAT much, but parts add up VERY quickly. The second reason is the MOSFETs. I just so happen to have a bunch of high voltage fets, but I don't think they can handle the needed current. The alternative ones are about $6 a pop and I'd need at least 4. Heat dissipation might be an issue, too...

2) At large currents, the ripple voltage/current that the load sees is going to be a little nasty. From my rough estimates, it could possibly be as bad as 25% at 120Hz. Ouch.
    Reason: Again, it goes back to the expensive capacitors. The "ripple" is where the voltage/current starts to sag as the input voltage sags(following the sine wave AC power input). I might be able to add some software power factor correction that would continuously adjust the duty cycle in order to keep the output fairly stable. I'm hoping I can use this to reduce the ripple to 5%.

3) You aren't going to be able to supply 100V at Maximum current. Hopefully 10A @ 100V(1kW).
    Reason: That's an a$$-load of power to begin with! Stop being greedy. Actually, it's due to that dam capacitor again.

Bottom line, if you guys want to pay $50-$75 MORE, I might be able to bump the power up a bit. BUT that's not for sure. Right now, the price is looking more like $150 for the unit. I'll update the first "Specification" post in a bit...

I cant speak for anyone but myself when I say " I dont want a cheap one, I want a good one that works, I dont mind paying more for it. I really need a good PS that is adjustable for testing this Urea project." PM sent.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Here is another way to make a high current DC SUPPLY FROM FREE CRAP

Find two big old tread mills, treads use DC permanent magnet motors which

when hooked backwards become DC GENERATORS

You can use one treadmill motor and the controls to drive the motor speed then

using the belts and pulleys THAT COME WITH THE FREE TREADMILL to DRIVE THE SECOND DC MOTOR WHICH BECOMES A

DC GENERATOR IF YOU HAVE A BIG ASS MOTOR YOU WILL HAVE A BIG ASS DC

GENERATOR YOU CAN THROW A LARGE FILTER CAP ACROSS IT BUT DON'T

FORGET THE CAR BATTERY ACT'S LIKE A BIG CAP AND SO DOES YOUR HHO

SET UP SO IF YOU WANT TO RAISE THE VOLTAGE RAISE THE FIRST TREAD

MILL MOTOR SPEED

TREADMILL MOTORS ARE NOW BEEN USED AS DC WINDMILL GENERATORS THE

DC IS USED TO CHARGE BATTERIES IN OLD UPS SUPPLIES TO CONVERT BACK TO AC POWER