Thread: overhaeting

pook7one Guest

overhaeting

I have a 2 gallon 9 cell generator, that is overheating. 3 positive, 2 neg and 4 neutral plates. it is getting so hot its almost boiling, any ideas, would removing from the engine compartment solve this problem?

Make sure that the cell is getting a good amount of airflow. I've seen many setups near the radiator to get maximum air flow. One of the main disadvantages of wet cell is the heat produced. You may be able to limit current with redoing your electrolyte concentration. I had a wet cell that had a melt down so I switched to dry cell. Increasing nuetral plates and decreasing the amount of electrodes may help as well and not adversely affect your production. Any idea on how many amps you are pulling?

Plate setup

HI I had the same problem when I first started building cells. You are droping too much voltage per plate. You should try +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-. the max. volts dropped per plate should be 2.3 VDC (13.8 V Divided by 2.3 = 6.) 6 divisions between 7 plates or multipals of 7. That way you have the best HHO production and the least amount of heat. Heat is wasted energy. When you run that hot you also make brown goo and have to change the water often.(Been there done that!) 2 volts per plate is a good rule to follow. Is it a dry cell or a wet cell??

What electrolyte are you using?

Most people report the best mixture being distilled water and KoH (lye - potassium hydroxide).

3 positive, 2 neg and 4 neutral plates
    Spicerman is right on.
    But If you cant get extra plates and want to make what you have work better try this.
    so you nave 5 plates with bolt holes. and 4 without.

Im guessing your plates are configured like this +n-n+n-n+
    If so I can see why it runs hot. Its pulling way to many volts/amps per cell. try reconfiguring it like this +nnn-nnn+. Just because a plate has a bolt hole doesnt mean you have to use it as a + or -, it can be a nuetral. Adjust your heat (volts/amps) with your electrolytes. add 2 teaspoon and let it run for 10 minuntes, if its not to hot add another and so on untill it gets about 120 f or so. then you should be good.
    Hope this helps. good luck
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com