Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some guidance on designing a cell for my car

Need some guidance on designing a cell for my car

Hi, When I found out about HHO, I was pretty excited that I could save some $. I was also excited that I could build/tinker with something pretty cool. My commute is ~60 miles/day, mostly freeway, but going home I hit quite a bit of traffic for about 5-8 miles.

I have done some reading about dry cells but obviously not enough. I have a few questions and if anyone can point me in the right direction (links, guides, etc) it would be greatly appreciated.

Some info about my car. It's a 95 Acura Integra LS with a B18B1 1.8L. It has a 90Amp Alternator. I will have full control over the stock computer to lean out/retard timing. I will be using crome to change the settings. I will also be ordering a EGT and a wideband o2 sensor to monitor cylinder temp and AFR.

I need to design a dry cell or two for my motor. Some questions I have are:

I'd like to build a cell with high hho output, but I don't know how much is too much for the motor/alternator. Seems like there are a lot of people with around 2Lpm output. If I built a generator that can output 3-4Lpm, would I be able to make full use out of it?

I'm still unsure what size and number of plates I would need to make an efficient cell and not draw too much current. Is there a proven design that I can base it off of?

How much current draw is too much where the cons outweigh the benefits? I like overkill. But if I can't make use of the HHO or the current draw is too high, there's no point in building a cell with high output.

These are some very general/basic questions that i'm sure has been answered many times. If you can point me in the right direction or the correct words to search for, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks! I'm excited to start designing/building this.

Welcome to the forum Trike!!

Crome, does that run on a PC/laptop computer?
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

Here are some good plans for a drycell from the legendary Smack.

http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/BB%2...20Document.pdf

He is usually pretty up together with his designs, and is always trying to improve the technology.
    I would recommend having a +NNNNN-NNNNN+ plate configuration instead of his 16 plates shown in his plans, as this will be safer and more effective when used with a PWM, which you will need to experiment with to get the best results. Unrestricted a 13Plate cell will draw over 50A and cause more trouble than it's worth, so I would use a PWM.
    Just remember that more HHO is not necessarily better when running of the vehicle's electrics, and if you stress the cell out too much you'll end up overheating it and evaporating your water and wasting energy.
    I would try a 20A setting and record results, then increase & decrease by a few amps and check MPG results again.
    Good luck and Welcome!!
    -Buster

I met a guy in town that did his that way, and he has some fancy sensors installed that tell him his estimated MPG with and without HHO, and he has a controller that lets him actively adjust how much HHO and current get put in at any given time.

He told me he popped that system in and out of the cars of his freinds and family to help them with theirs, to more quickly find out the 'right' mixture as he can do it on the fly, with both HHO quantity and Current.

And the BEST part was he had bright blue LED's all over everything. Who cared if it worked.... it had BLUE LED's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
    Welcome to the forum Trike!!

Crome, does that run on a PC/laptop computer?
    Thanks!

yup, it's a software tuning program to edit the honda ecu rom files, or do real time tuning if you have a emulator attached to it. The emulator is too expensive for my needs. I'm going to datalog then edit the rom, and re-burn the chip.

Buster,

Thanks for the info! So you feel a 13 plate two cell design should be more than adequate in terms of HHO production? Is the reason you went with a 7 plate cell, is that it will give 2v's per plate? I'll look into a PWM module as well to regulate it.

JerryGoldSmith,

Yeah, I have a MPGduino on order as well to tell me MPG. it measures the vehicle speed and injector duty cycle to calculate the MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Here are some good plans for a drycell from the legendary Smack.

http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/BB%2...20Document.pdf

He is usually pretty up together with his designs, and is always trying to improve the technology.
    I would recommend having a +NNNNN-NNNNN+ plate configuration instead of his 16 plates shown in his plans, as this will be safer and more effective when used with a PWM, which you will need to experiment with to get the best results. Unrestricted a 13Plate cell will draw over 50A and cause more trouble than it's worth, so I would use a PWM.
    Just remember that more HHO is not necessarily better when running of the vehicle's electrics, and if you stress the cell out too much you'll end up overheating it and evaporating your water and wasting energy.
    I would try a 20A setting and record results, then increase & decrease by a few amps and check MPG results again.
    Good luck and Welcome!!
    -Buster
    Good advice there Buster!!
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Trike View Post
    Thanks!

yup, it's a software tuning program to edit the honda ecu rom files, or do real time tuning if you have a emulator attached to it. The emulator is too expensive for my needs. I'm going to datalog then edit the rom, and re-burn the chip.
    Does it only work with Hondas or will it work with other cars?

I have the Scanguage for mileage....

Quote Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
    Does it only work with Hondas or will it work with other cars?

I have the Scanguage for mileage....
    Yup, only works with obd1 honda ecu's (http://www.tunewithcrome.com/). It's pretty cheap to get setup for modiying a honda obd1 ecu. About $20 bucks to chip the ECU, a datalog cable ($30), rom burner ($85), Software is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Trike View Post
    Yup, only works with obd1 honda ecu's (http://www.tunewithcrome.com/). It's pretty cheap to get setup for modiying a honda obd1 ecu. About $20 bucks to chip the ECU, a datalog cable ($30), rom burner ($85), Software is free.
    COOL Sounds like your got it made man
    Now all you need is some blue LEDs!!

Glen

Also don't use baking soda for an electrolyte. A better choice is KOH (Potassium Hydroxide). Here's a link to a good supplier who is relatively inexpensive

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...diesel,/Detail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell