Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My cell is not like yours.

GreenStar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    Here are 3 decent shots. I had to resize them WAAAAAY down to fit within the 97.7kB limit.
    awesome design! A picture is worth a thousand words indeed... although you described it very well! Just as i pictured it in my head...

So... the electrodes... they are cut from switch plates? Where do you get the plates?

Thanks!

Jaxom Guest
    I get my switch covers from Home Depot. There's a whole other thread devoted to them here.

Are you using copper wire to connect?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

JojoJaro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    The first test run showed 2.5lpm at 12.5v and 18A after a 15-minute warmup. The measurement was taken using an airflow gauge (which I don't entirely trust the accuracy of) so don't quote me on it just yet.
    What does you gut feeling tell you the LPM should be?

Even if your reading is off by 20%, I think that is still awesome production for 18A and its size. Did you cross-hatch the plates?

How much for you to build me one? Maybe sell me what you've got and go build a better one. I'm ready to install one in my Duramax.

Jaxom Guest
    I was under the impression the wires were SS when I built the cell, but after running it I have found that the cut ends of the wire are corroding, which leads me to believe they are copper wires with some type of coating or plating. It's the same heat-resistant wire used on O2 sensors.

Further testing is showing a little less output than that first run. It's in the range of 2.0lpm consistently at 12.5v and 18-20A. It's not ready to go in a vehicle yet though...it's getting pretty warm at this production level (up to around 160F) and the PVC softens a little after running for a while. After a 1-hour test run last weekend the terminals and output nipple were noticably loose in the plastic, enough so that the HHO began to leak out around the fitting and the flow reading dropped some.

ICEMAN.KCMO Guest
    are you running a flooded cell?

Jaxom Guest
    That depends on how you define "flooded cell." The water level covers the electrodes but there's still an airspace inside the cell, and the electrolyte mix does not circulate through the cell. It may in the future, I'm thinking about a circulation pump and remote reservoir to help control the temperature, but at this time it's just the cell sitting in water.

JojoJaro Guest
    How much space is left at the plate edge before it hits the housing?

If I wanted the whole assembly to fit the housing snugly, what width should I use. I read that your plate width is 1.5". Will 1.6" width cause it to fit the housing snugly so that it seals the outer edge from stray currents?

djerickd Guest
    Wow thats genius level engineering man!! thats awesome.

How is production? (or did I miss that?)

Jaxom Guest
    I have less than 1/8" clearance between the edges of the plates and the inside diameter of the PVC housing. It would take some trial & error to get a closer fit. All I did was cut Home Depot switch covers in half longway, flatten them out, and then design the support core to be the correct size for it all to fit closely. The core is 3/4" PVC in my design.

The 1.5" plate width is an approximation.

DJ....not to be rude, but if you would scroll up I JUST gave production numbers.