Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium Hydroxide

Dewayne Guest

Potassium Hydroxide

I purchased a container of lab quality potassium hydroxide this week.

I just opened the container and it is in a flake form.

What is the best way to get to a state that I can measure it?

There is enough space in the bottle I can add about a cup of water. Could I add water and make it into a solution?

dennis13030 Guest
    I would probably use a separate container(jar) to mix the KOH with water. Maybe a table spoon or two at a time. I do not think that it takes much KOH to get very good results.

I do not have a recommended Water to KOH ratio. However I would guess at about 2 table spoons per gallon.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

Talking How to precisely measure electrolyte percentages.

To precisely measure a ratio of KOH, NaOH, Baking Soda, or other solid electrolyte chemical to water: measure your chemical by weight and your water by volume, in similar units of measure.

Examples:
    1 gram per liter,
    5 grams per liter,
    10 grams per liter,
    25 grams per liter, etc.

Keep a little portable calculator handy to convert back to standard if you don't have metric measuring capabilities.

3.785 liters = 1 gallon (It says so on the outside of a 1 gallon water jug!)
    28 grams = 1 ounce (Go to OnlineConversion.com for fast & free conversions)

dlw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDROTEKPRO View Post

3.785 liters = 1 gallon (It says so on the outside of a 1 gallon water jug!)
    conversions)
    Unless you are from the UK where its 4.546 liters to a gallon

Is anyone aware of where you can get KOH in liquid form? I've heard drain cleaners, but I don't know if I should go that route due to the additional ingredients. I've heard that people recommend KOH all over this forum but I haven't really seen or heard where I can get my hands on some!
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

Meat Guest
    I looked in the Chemicals listing in the yellow pages, and found a place that sold me a one pound container of KOH for 13.00, plus a gallon of gas to get there. And then another one to get back!

Tkyn10 Guest
    Ebay. I got it pretty cheap delivered to my door and is available in many forms

I read here that the boiling point of KOH is 1320 Celcius!!!! Can that possibly be right?? That's 2408 Fahrenheit!!! Would this raise the boiling point of water, KOH mixture?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne View Post
    I purchased a container of lab quality potassium hydroxide this week.

I just opened the container and it is in a flake form.

What is the best way to get to a state that I can measure it?

There is enough space in the bottle I can add about a cup of water. Could I add water and make it into a solution?
    If KOH is like NaOH then adding water will create alot of heat, so make sure its in a glass bottle if you do add.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG