Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potassium Hydroxide

LinChiek Guest
    DO NOT ADD WATER TO KOH....

always add KOH to water.....

example:
    Step 1 - Pour 1 liter of distilled H20 to a container
    Step 2 - The only add 10g of KOH to the distilled H20.

Never reverse the order....

Meat Guest

Snap crackle pop!

Well, I've only mixed up two batches of electrolyte, but it sure does make a funny crackly noise when you add a small amount of water (like one cup) to your tablespoon or whatever of the KOH. It gets a little fizzy, too. Didn't notice any heat created, but then again I didn't check!

apwutcook Guest

Potassium Hydroxide

I found potassium hydroxide flakes cheap at a local soap and candle factory/store. I think it was about $4 per pound.

Here's another question on KOH. Both my father and I have noticed our electrolyte (distilled water + KOH) turns brownish-orange after a little while of running. Is that normal? I thought it stayed clear?

Thanks!
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

GOplayer Guest
    Would you care to educate us about this topic. Basic chemistry class was decades ago and memory about this faded. I know what you are saying is true. (I did add water to Lye and…got a mass in the bottle with a lot of heat generated!-no injuries thanks God!)

GOplayer Guest
    Ah! You may just solved my problem but still do not understand it’s details:
    I added water to lye and my HOD Gen. does not give any bubbles since. What have I created?

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HHOhoper View Post
    I read here that the boiling point of KOH is 1320 Celcius!!!! Can that possibly be right?? That's 2408 Fahrenheit!!! Would this raise the boiling point of water, KOH mixture?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide
    I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone actually tested this?

cemkarakurt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    If KOH is like NaOH then adding water will create alot of heat, so make sure its in a glass bottle if you do add.
    very careful always use cold water fist then mix koh or costic soda. never use hot water or never put water in to costic soda ( my mistakely if you did caver you face or run away very quely i meen it it will explour and will burn your skeen.