Thread: Weights and Measures

Drill a hole!!!

I cant drill a hole into my manifold, its still under warranty
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Dean88 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    I cant drill a hole into my manifold, its still under warranty
    Aaah the lovely warrenty.

How much does a new intake cost? You could always just find a Cummins in a junkyard or buy a used one off evilbay and leave it in your shop until that **** moment comes and change out manifolds.

spob Guest
    I don't think that diesels generate vacuum at the manifold because of the type of combustion cycle they use. I believe that you have a vacuum pump that is belt driven.

rmptr Guest
    It could have vacuum pump or hydraulic assist for brake cylinder.

but I know it's got a turbo and the only vacuum is beyond that.
    Probably would not be wise to draw HHO in at that point.

Best

cjdave Guest

No Vaccume

on a turbo there is no vaccume from the turbo to the tip of the tail pipe.

Mine is a 2003 Cummins.

Diesels use a hydraulic boost pump for the brakes and steering.

Madjeff66 Guest

Exclamation no vacume on a desel engine

A diesel engine has no vacuum. So drilling a hole in your intake is not going to work. Most diesel's have a mechanical pump to create vacuum to operate heater doors and accessory's, etc.

Jaxom Guest
    Newer vehicles rarely use engine vacuum for much of anything. Ventilation controls have gone to servomotors and everything on the engine is electronically controlled via the PCM, with a few exceptions. Most cars still use vac boosters for the brakes, but as stated the majority of diesel brake boosters are hydraulic or electro-hydraulic systems.

Belt-driven or electric vac pumps are the way to go. They eliminate the issue of changing vacuum levels due to engine loading (which is highly counterproductive since engine vacuum is lowest when you need the most HHO.) This issue is one reason I am firmly against using direct manifold vacuum to boost production in an HHO cell.

Omega Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    Newer vehicles rarely use engine vacuum for much of anything. Ventilation controls have gone to servomotors and everything on the engine is electronically controlled via the PCM, with a few exceptions. Most cars still use vac boosters for the brakes, but as stated the majority of diesel brake boosters are hydraulic or electro-hydraulic systems.

Belt-driven or electric vac pumps are the way to go. They eliminate the issue of changing vacuum levels due to engine loading (which is highly counterproductive since engine vacuum is lowest when you need the most HHO.) This issue is one reason I am firmly against using direct manifold vacuum to boost production in an HHO cell.
    I wholeheartedly agree!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post

I second! (or third- whatever)
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.