Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HHO on a carbureted engine

humbug Guest

HHO on a carbureted engine

What do I have to do to a carbureted engine so that I can benefit from HHO?

Like the air to fuel mixture, do I have to adjust it or will it self adjust?

Which vacuum line?

I would think that with a carburetor engine you would have, by far, the easiest job of all of us. The fuel/air ratio is set by the size of the jets, so you won't need to adjust for the computer playing with the mixture. From what I've read, you may need to adjust the ignition timing.

humbug Guest
    that sound complicated? where do i start?

To be safe, you need to be able to monitor your exaust gas temperature. When you start decreasing the amount of fuel, your engine will run hot, but the addition of hydrogen will offset that effect. So basically, you need to lean your fuel down probably by 10% or so, then add Hydrogen and measure the EGT. If its still safe, then you can attempt to lean the fuel a little more. and so on. You need to know how to put smaller jets on your carb and know the safe parameters on your engine. I am sure someone else in these boards has better more detailed information than I do.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

mario brito Guest
    just don't forget one detail : if you are running too lean, because your HHO is balacing that, and your HHO unit stops working for some reason, and you keep your engine running, you can destroy your engine ! so, keep it in safe levels !

humbug Guest
    good point, i just want to know what screw to turn what spring to pull

cougar gt-e Guest
    There are about 358 different carburator designs. What car, engine, carburator?

The only thing you can easily adjust is the idle fuel. Normally tightening the screws 1/8 to 1/4 turn will help with the idle air fuel. The main fuel system is controlled by a jet (exactly sized hole in a brass screw) and some have rods that go thru the hole. Then there is the transition circuit to enrich the air when you are slightly accellerating. Some have extra venturies that are used for full power. Your best bet is to get a manual. Some carbs are easy, some moderately hard and some are pure distilled evil.

humbug Guest

Smile

thanks ill look at a manual but i think ill probably just go to a mechanic
    by the way its a 1982 chevy c20 v8 5.7 liitre

Quote Originally Posted by humbug View Post
    It either a quadra junk or holly, unless an aftermarket was installed.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

COMP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by humbug View Post
    still have the Q-jet on it ??? thats what i need to try