Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Does A Dry Cell Work?

How Does A Dry Cell Work?

Hi Everyone!

After habging around this site for a few weeks or so, I decided to register to try and do exactly what everyone else is doing!

I have one (very n00bish) question before I begin: How does a Dry Cell produce the HHO?

I know how a wet cell works, because the electrodes are fully submerged in the electrolyte, so how does the dry cell work?

Thanks =)

Daniel

Same as a wet cell it only the dry cell is able to direct the current better. so less energy is wasted.

In actuality their both "wet cells". Dry cell is the adopted name.
    Closed bath electrolyzer may be a accurate descriptive name.
    (Open bath electrolyzer for the "wet cell")

So am I right in thinking that both 'wet' cells and 'dry' cells are both submerged in the electrolyte?

I'm really sorry if I'm sounding thick.

Quote Originally Posted by dma1989 View Post
    So am I right in thinking that both 'wet' cells and 'dry' cells are both submerged in the electrolyte?

I'm really sorry if I'm sounding thick.
    yes you are right kind of. Open bath is fully submerged. Closed bath (dry cell) is just submerged internally (edges... are dry)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    yes you are right kind of. Open bath is fully submerged. Closed bath (dry cell) is just submerged internally (edges... are dry)
    Thank you very much for clearing that up for me =)

Much Appreciated!

Now my HHO adventure shall begin!

Daniel

Right, sorry about this.

Pretty much all day I've been getting my head around this (mainly looking at Smack's HHO Designs and Videos), and I'm still puzzled on the difference between the wet and dry cells.

I know that the wet cells are fully submerged in the electrolyte, and that in the dry cell it's submerged internally. But in the videos of dry cells i've seen, I can't see where the electrolyte is held. Would someone be able to show me an example?

Also, because the dry cell has open sides (i.e.: Is not fully enclosed or submerged in electrolyte), then how do you manage to direct the HHO into one place? Surely if the the cell isn't sealed then the gas will be escaping all over the place? Obviously the cell can direct the HHO gas into one place, so would someone be able to show me an example of that too?

Just to say, I will be starting on wet cells and going from there, but if the dry cells are more efficient, then that's what I'll be wanting to hook up to my car.

Again, sorry for all the daft questions, but I guess everyone has to start from somewhere!

Daniel

Yes we do.

A wet cell is normally a series of plates suspended in a tube full of electrolyte, with a lid on the top which will have an outlet pipe fitting in it. This outlet pipe vents the HHO out of the wetcel and down an attached pipe to the engine's air intake.

Drycells, as you have probably noticed from the Smack plans, normally have gaskets between the plates which channel the electrolyte and HHO just between the plates and not around the sides of the plates as in a wetcell. This is why drycells are more efficient and cool running, because less electricity is wasted because it can only run between the plates where it produces the HHO. Holes through the plates allow electrolyte and HHO to pass through the cell and in/out through the acrylic ends via pipe fittings.

I would forget about wetcells, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by dma1989 View Post

I know that the wet cells are fully submerged in the electrolyte, and that in the dry cell it's submerged internally. But in the videos of dry cells i've seen, I can't see where the electrolyte is held. Would someone be able to show me an example?

Here's a quick pic of a basic setup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Major Kudos to you both for your answers! Very much appreciated! =D

If I have any more questions, you bet your a** i'll be coming here for help!

Daniel

On that picture wouldn't the cooler be on the wet side to cool the electrolite before it enters the cell.
    If you can read this, Thank a Teacher!! If you can read this in English, Thank a Soldier!!
    "A Veteran is someone who, at some point in his or her life, wrote out a blank check, payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including his life."