Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Does A Dry Cell Work?

Also wouldn't the cell be totally flooded to the very top.
    Hey has anyone tried that setup as in the diagram, with a total flooded dry cell, no air gap at the top??
    I wonder if it would work, you wouldn't have to fill the cell. You wouldn't need the holes in the bottom plates to equalize the level....
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

If the holes are cut in the plates (neutrals?) inside the Dry-Cell, wouldn't the current just flow straight through there with the water, making some loss in the same manner which you are trying to prevent? Just on a lesser level?

Quote Originally Posted by borgdrone View Post
    If the holes are cut in the plates (neutrals?) inside the Dry-Cell, wouldn't the current just flow straight through there with the water, making some loss in the same manner which you are trying to prevent? Just on a lesser level?
    Your answer is YES!!

Quote Originally Posted by borgdrone View Post
    The answer is NO, YES, KIND OF.

You can call that small amount of current going straight through these holes, leakage. This is why a good dry cell has their holes as small of hole as possibly, with out restricting gas flow.

Wet cells the entire bath area is like the small hole in the dry cell making the wet cell leakage many times more . Even with all the wet cell's leakage, a larger amount of current goes through the neutral plates.

It appears to me that Smacks new Gen 4 Dry cell does not even have the 1 hole below the water level (when running). So they say it has Zero leakage. Down side is the cell only refills when the cell is turned off (I believe on long trips that design could run dry). There are other dry cell designs that are close to Zero leakage also.

A couple friends are experimenting with horizonal disigns that have multiple small holes in each plate. The plates are more rectangular than square and the holes allow the rising gas bubbles to create convective circulation and they alternate their location on each consecutive plate from one end of the plate to the other Kind of like this:Attachment 1338 They are getting great numbers witht this design.
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"

Looks good.
    We developed a flat drycell with zero current leakage a while ago.
    The only issue with horizontal dry cells is that gas stays in between the plates a bit longer unless you increase the number of holes, and this cuts down the current, so less gas per minute than if it was upright. Since it is always advisable to restrict the cells amp draw anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.

I will eventually get round to an installation of a HDC when the need arises only, as VDC are a little easier for flow purposes.

How do you know you had zero current leakage and why is it always advisable to restrict amp draw?
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"

bump.

How did you get zero leakage & how can you tell theres zero leakage?
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

The only issue with horizontal dry cells is that gas stays in between the plates a bit longer unless you increase the number of holes
    wouldnt a pump solve this problem rather then more holes?
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com