Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suitable mulitimeters

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    wow...5K is a bit steep for my wallet, but it would certainly be worth having if it will do all the plotting, especially in a nice graphic...Does it include the PC laptop? Lol
    Like I said, the better way to go is through my old company. I think it would be cheaper and faster. You would need to supply them with a Request For Quote(RFQ) first to iron out how much $$, deliverables, schedule and details. Materials-wise, you need to supply the electrolyzer for the duration of the testing.

I'm pretty sure that the price would be a lot cheaper.

Blinger101 Guest
    I hate to butt-in here, but if you're still looking for an alternative to measuring the amperage, you could always make a shunt-resistor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EiiE4NoDI

reuk.co.uk/Make-a-Shunt-Resistor.htm

Dennis, since you're the electronics wizz, is the resistor-shunt a viable option for our purposes?

Question

wow...5K is a bit steep for my wallet, but it would certainly be worth having if it will do all the plotting, especially in a nice graphic...Does it include the PC laptop? Lol
    Do you have 50 cents?

1,000 feet of #10 wire has a resistance of almost exactly 1 ohm.

Buy 1 foot and a half of #10 solid copper wire.

Run your current through the wire.

Take your multimeter and place your leads 12" apart on the wire.

Read amps in milli-volts.

10 milli-amps = 10 amps.

I use it all the time.

BTW You can bend the wire into a wiggle and mount it on a piece of plywood to save room.

BoyntonStu

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinger101 View Post
    I hate to butt-in here, but if you're still looking for an alternative to measuring the amperage, you could always make a shunt-resistor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EiiE4NoDI

reuk.co.uk/Make-a-Shunt-Resistor.htm

Dennis, since you're the electronics wizz, is the resistor-shunt a viable option for our purposes?
    This is a home made sense resistor with a resistance value of 0.001 Ohms. He did a good job on it. Notice the thick wire that handles the high current. The thin wires are for the voltage measurement. My opinion is that you can use this method but it is cheaper and easier to use a real sense resistor.

Its all good advice guys, thank you very much...
    I am a computer pro and am looking to take advantage of the cars computer, too. It is still out of my leauge though. I work with PC and MAC not automotive...The digital multimeter that I am using gives me good info on the bench, but what I would like to get a hold of, or even build, is a means of collecting real time info that can be plotted in a graphic format automatically. Info such as the elecrical measurements, temps and gas production,...while also monitoring the vehicle and weather conditions...sounds very involving, but when I think about mini weather stations and how they work with a PC, it makes me believe that there must be a way to collect the info and plot it without needing to take manual measurements every minute or so....

I dunno...maybe its wishful thinking, but I would like to have that sort of info so I can better all of the generator design elements...
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

dennis13030 Guest
    Its all good advice guys, thank you very much...
    I am a computer pro and am looking to take advantage of the cars computer, too. It is still out of my leauge though. I work with PC and MAC not automotive...The digital multimeter that I am using gives me good info on the bench, but what I would like to get a hold of, or even build, is a means of collecting real time info that can be plotted in a graphic format automatically. Info such as the elecrical measurements, temps and gas production,...while also monitoring the vehicle and weather conditions...sounds very involving, but when I think about mini weather stations and how they work with a PC, it makes me believe that there must be a way to collect the info and plot it without needing to take manual measurements every minute or so....

I dunno...maybe its wishful thinking, but I would like to have that sort of info so I can better all of the generator design elements...
    I know electronics but not mechanical stuff and car sensor stuff.

The items required to do the measurements in an automated fashion are;
    1. A high current digital power supply that has a suitable PC interface.
    2. A digital temperature sensor that has a suitable PC interface.
    3. A digital flow meter that has a suitable PC interface.
    4. A personal computer.
    5. A custom program that has command/status capabilities over the equipment.

My old work has all of this except #3. They are flexible enough to get this equipment too. They sell their testing services.

Dewayne Guest
    I got a 30A meter off of eBay for $10. This is a bench type meter and not a car type. I found the car type meters are not marked in single amp readings.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne View Post
    I got a 30A meter off of eBay for $10. This is a bench type meter and not a car type. I found the car type meters are not marked in single amp readings.
    Please post a link of this amp meter.

Dewayne Guest
    Here is the eBay item number : 130240497876

Cheap ammeter

Harbor freight sells a digital multimeter with a 10 amp scale for $3.99.

Works at 20 amps for a few seconds.

I bought 5 to use around the house.