Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Ford Explorer Sportrac 4.0

2002 Ford Explorer Sportrac 4.0

I'm looking for other members who are working on similar 4.0 trucks.
    1. Mountaineer
    2. Explorer
    3. Ranger

To be able to trade results, ideas, & suggestions.

Thanx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

I'm running a system in a '98 4.0 Explorer 4x4.
    19 plate, 3 cell, 6x6 KOH

Explorer 2002 4.0 here

Tried dry cell, no improvement working on a titanium cell now.
    Too much electronics to fool.
    Better quality gas no electronics too fool.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by sweet7549 View Post
    Tried dry cell, no improvement working on a titanium cell now.
    Too much electronics to fool.
    Better quality gas no electronics too fool.
    Rick
    I hear you. My Sport Trac is getting O2 sensor extenders, a MAF enhancer, PWM and if needed an EFIE.

This was easiier on my bug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

Andy,
    Don't bother with the O2 extenders. They really don't do much, and the EFIE will take care of the O2 signal. Also, be really careful with the MAF enhancer. Damned Fords don't like'em. Anything above 'barely turned on' will throw a bunch of codes at you.
    Mine especially likes P0171 & P0174. It's also easy to set the burn too lean & could do alot of damage. You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Andy,
    Don't bother with the O2 extenders. They really don't do much, and the EFIE will take care of the O2 signal. Also, be really careful with the MAF enhancer. Damned Fords don't like'em. Anything above 'barely turned on' will throw a bunch of codes at you.
    Mine especially likes P0171 & P0174. It's also easy to set the burn too lean & could do alot of damage. You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
    Lee
    I've got my Scanguage installed just waiting to see what codes get thrown!
    I'm looking at a Auto Meter 6445 Nexus. The PITA is drilling & tapping the sensor on the exhaust manifold.

I had a setup on my 74 beetle and it was sooo much easier w/o the electronics. I saw some decent MPG improvements. She went from 23mpg to 30. Thanks for the heads up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

I just installed the FS2 chip. I removed my O2 EFIE and the MAF enhancer. Seems better already. Mileage seems to be increasing & there's more power!
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

I just installed the FS2 chip. I removed my O2 EFIE and the MAF enhancer. Seems better already. Mileage seems to be increasing & there's more power!
    How was the installation on the chip? Definitly keep us posted on the results. It may be the way to go, especially if you hade making manual adjustments!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

It's been running steady at 21.4 mpg. using just the chip & drycell. Original mpg. was 16.5 . I'm going to try hooking the O2 EFIE back up & reset the FS2. I'll start at 200mv and steadily increase to 450mv and see if there are additional gains. I know that I've got more power & smoother upshifting since removing the damned MAF enhancer.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

It's been running steady at 21.4 mpg. using just the chip & drycell. Original mpg. was 16.5 . I'm going to try hooking the O2 EFIE back up & reset the FS2. I'll start at 200mv and steadily increase to 450mv and see if there are additional gains. I know that I've got more power & smoother upshifting since removing the damned MAF enhancer.
    Is that is city mpg?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac