Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Ford Explorer Sportrac 4.0

That's the combined mileage. All along I'd been getting error codes every now and then. I removed the O2 extenders and haven't had a code since. I recommend NOT using them.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by sweet7549 View Post
    Tried dry cell, no improvement working on a titanium cell now.
    Too much electronics to fool.
    Better quality gas no electronics too fool.
    Rick
    Sweet,
    I sincerely hope you do a bunch of research before spending good money on the 'specially coated' titanium cells.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Bench testing a wet mesh titanium cell.
    Anode is coated 2 cathodes are not.
    3.5 grams of KOH in 1 gallon distilled water.
    Starting at 10 amps.
    Ran 1 hour cell reaches 22 amps temp is 110.
    Going to test all week.
    Keep you all posted
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Andy,
    Don't bother with the O2 extenders. They really don't do much, and the EFIE will take care of the O2 signal. Also, be really careful with the MAF enhancer. Damned Fords don't like'em. Anything above 'barely turned on' will throw a bunch of codes at you.
    Mine especially likes P0171 & P0174. It's also easy to set the burn too lean & could do alot of damage. You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
    Lee
    Lee, (or anyone) ... chime in

I need a favor regarding the function of the MAF Enhancer vs EFIE. I understand the function of the MAF enhancer and how it affects the ECU but what exactly does the EFIE do and to what fuctions of the ecu? I know it is cut into the O2 sensors but how does it differ from the MAF enhancer's function?
    From what I have read:

The oxygen sensor “tells” the computer what the oxygen content is by providing a voltage on it’s signal wire between 0 and 1 volt. 450 millivolts (.45 volts) means that the fuel/air mixture is correct. Higher values means the mix is rich (has too much gas), and lower voltages means the mix is lean. By adding voltage to the sensor’s output, we can compensate for the additional oxygen in the exhaust.
    The Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE) does exactly this. It adds a floating voltage to the top of whatever the oxygen sensor is putting out. It has an adjustment that allows you to control, to within a few millivolts, the amount of this added voltage. This allows the computer to be unaware of the additional oxygen content of the exhaust from the HHO generator, and the electrolyzer can now achieve it’s full potential in fuel savings.

Isn't this the same function the MAF enhancer does?

If I am interpreting this correctly, I would say the EFIE would be the main controller while the MAF enhancer would be basically a "Fine Tuning" to the EFIE settings.
    Would this be an accurate conclusion?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Andy,
    The MAF sensor tells the ECU the load (volume of incoming air) and adjusts the pulse controlling the injectors. The O2 sensors read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. The normal voltage is around .002 - .008v.. The EFIE adds anywhere from 0 - 400mv. The more MV's the ECU reads (more O2 = lower voltage) the more it will lean the mixture as it thinks the engine is running rich.
    Hope this helps.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0

Andy,
    The MAF sensor tells the ECU the load (volume of incoming air) and adjusts the pulse controlling the injectors. The O2 sensors read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. The normal voltage is around .002 - .008v.. The EFIE adds anywhere from 0 - 400mv. The more MV's the ECU reads (more O2 = lower voltage) the more it will lean the mixture as it thinks the engine is running rich.
    Hope this helps.
    Got it!
    Setting the EFIE should be fun!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

It's simple. Set it so it's putting out 200mv to each O2 sensor and take it from there.
    Mine seemed to run best at around 350mv.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0

It's simple. Set it so it's putting out 200mv to each O2 sensor and take it from there.
    Mine seemed to run best at around 350mv.
    That seems simple enough. I just have to find an accessable place for this. Basically once you set it you forget it right? It just has an on off switch to run disenguaged correct?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

You've got it! The best way to attach the wiring is by tracing the v/line from the sensor to the ECU and attach them there. It's easier than laying under the truck & trying to work on the sensor's themselves.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0

Andy,
    You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
    Lee
    In order to install an EGT (EXHAUST GAS TEMP GAUGE METER) in my 2002 4.0 Ford truck would anyone know if this would require drilling the exhaust manifold or does Ford have a plug on the exhaust manifold?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac