Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Altercharger possible?

WOW these people touch on it all already
    http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ator-9447.html

Quote Originally Posted by Helz_McFugly View Post

Dude I dont think Phill is here to prove Ideas wrong. Hes here to give his educated perspective on things and to help. claim stuff ya refuse to prove and expect frustation. which is very amusing, I must admit. I dont know about everyone else but I learned alot in that thread alone.
    man i was just asking him for his input, i just wanted his take on all this

Richard, you weren't asking for my input. You were trying to incite some more drama, and I think that's pretty clear to everyone. You might want to edit out that post...

Also, for the record, I'm not some "know it all" about everything. I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer. My mechanical knowledge isn't that amazing. However, if I DO offer some advice or critique of something, it's because I'm 100% sure of something. I don't talk out of my a.s.s.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    Richard, you weren't asking for my input. You were trying to incite some more drama, and I think that's pretty clear to everyone. You might want to edit out that post...

Also, for the record, I'm not some "know it all" about everything. I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer. My mechanical knowledge isn't that amazing. However, if I DO offer some advice or critique of something, it's because I'm 100% sure of something. I don't talk out of my a.s.s.
    not editing it ever, you will have to just live with it. but yea i wish you could give some input on this man.

does this site have a mechanical engineer version of phill? i need all the input i can get on this topic please.

you should take this Idea over to www.fuel-saver.org,
    you could run any of the many parisitic things, that are running off your crankshaft, with a turbo. Ide say you would get better over all efficiency by running your alt. on a turbo and then running your power stearing pump, cooling fans, maybe a smog pump, all off electric motors thus taking the load off the crankshaft and using exhaust to run them. Its a HUGE job to install a turbo on a car that didnt come factory with one. Ive done it twice. Just sayin
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Quote Originally Posted by Helz_McFugly View Post
    you should take this Idea over to www.fuel-saver.org,
    you could run any of the many parisitic things, that are running off your crankshaft, with a turbo. Ide say you would get better over all efficiency by running your alt. on a turbo and then running your power stearing pump, cooling fans, maybe a smog pump, all off electric motors thus taking the load off the crankshaft and using exhaust to run them. Its a HUGE job to install a turbo on a car that didnt come factory with one. Ive done it twice. Just sayin
    i think a turbo charger and a turbo alternator installed on 2 cars of the same make and model will behave totally different, 1. the car with the turbo will boost make from the turbo compressor forcing more air into the intake. 2. the car with the turbo alternator could uninstall the stock alternator, droping the stress off the belt and crankshaft(recovering about 3 horse power), but also at high power demand the turbo alternator will be harder to spin as every 25AMP of load added will need 1 horse power of turbine turning power from the exhaust.

to get a better understanding of this you would need to find out how much exhaust your car is putting out at what RPM vs how much flow and pressure of exhaust you need to have to run the turbo alternator at the load you need. personally i am looking for 13VDC@50AMPS from a good turbo alternator setup. i also want to add that a turbo with a big turbine side is harder to turn but has more torque and a smaller turbine side is easier to turn but has less torque, so finding the most efficient turbo alternator for your car depend on how much exhaust your engine is putting out vs the pressure you need for the load you plan on using.

wow the turbo alternator starting to look tougher than i first taught, maybe using us every available inch of your exhaust to install Thermoelectric Generators would be easier but you would still have a lag time for heating up. the turbo alternator put stress on your exhaust flow and pressure and if the pressure build up too much where your car's exhaust cant handle it would have the effect like putting a cover over your car's exhaust. maybe a big turbine side would be harder to turn but allows better air flow?

Helz i cant bother to go on another forum right now, i have too much things doing. i can hardly keep up with this forum.
    i have a new set of plates design which im planning on using in my first dry cell system. i will post on the other thread for feed back.