Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to lower their cell temperature?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    I gotta throw my 2 coppers in here because I think you guys are off base regarding a PWM's true function with an HHO system.

Back in Jan. of 09 I refitted my large dry cell with 1/16" spacer gaskets from 1/8" and the amps went wild(as did my output).My heat wasn't out of control but after the cell warmed the amps like most cells rose to over 70 .After discussing this with one of the members here he suggested that I talk to Shane Jackson about him building me a custom high amp PWM with 2 built in mosfets,tested to over 100 amps.

What the PWM did was keep my amps at an adjustable constant so my start up amps were the same as my warmed up amps thus giving me full control and being able to run the system at it's peak output even using a strong maximum e-lyte of 28% by weight KOH to distilled.I adjusted the amps so they were a constant 57 to 60 amps,which seemed to be the peak of performance for my cell and my charging system.

So as they say here on the HHO forum sorry to disagree but...........
    hi, whats the rating on your alternator?

@hg2,
    Any idea what MOSFET shane was using for that two-transistor PWM??? If they are in a TO-220 package, then shane isn't being honest. The leads on the transistors can't sustain 75A. After about 30 seconds, the leads on that type of industry-standard package will MELT.

He may have pulsed the unit with 150A, but I seriously doubt it can sustain it for even a minute. Just because the silicon in the mosfet can handle 75A, does NOT mean the packaging can.

Ok Phill I see which way you're going with this now,I guess I missed the add-on part somewhere.Interesting concept though I'd like to see some future data on it when you have some available.

@Phill Im not planning on having a system that uses even close to 2000 watts. just saying. thats what this alternator can push 13.8VDC/150 amps. Ide like to keep my system under 75 amps but want to be able to access 100amps if need be. say, if I make my cell bigger or want to run 2 or 3 in parallel.

here is the top of the line AFC http://tiny.cc/M9ljr
    it lets you control your A/F ratio. Ive been told by some HP guru's it doesnt work well with OBD2.
    but its way off topic for this thread. Its just a glorified EFIE

@HG2
    How many amps did the elctrolizer I PM'd you about pull with the 7 plate config? and Im assuming it was setup like +nnnnn-. also how many amps with 8 plates?
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Helz

I never went back to 8 plates after refitting the cell with 1/16" gaskets last winter because I got the output I was looking for after the refit.I can tell you that with the 1/8" thick gaskets I was drawing about 40 to 44 amps with 7 plates and about 12 to 14 amps with 8 plates.And yes you're correct the configuration is -nnnnn+ with 7 plates.
    This was also without using a PWM,I bought that after the refit because with the 1/16" thick gaskets and using 28% KOH by weight(that's about 2 lbs.to 1 gallon of distilled water)the amp draw completely buried my 60 amp gauge and I could only estimate it was drawing between 70 and 80 amps.Hence the reason for buying the PWM from Shane Jackson.The amp draw was so great without the PWM with everything off(a/c,lights ect) and the truck idling the volt meter on the truck would plummet to the point the ECU would shut down the charging system,a little feature the OBD II has to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot drawing too many amps.

BTW I left you and email around 6:30 pm your time,did you get it????

Quote Originally Posted by richard_lyew View Post
    one the most important thing you could buy is a AFC, you dont have to buy the NEO now, just buy a SAFC or a VAFC if you dont have enough $ right now.
    Do you have some links for the SAFC & VAFC and any particular recommendations?

here is the top of the line one http://tiny.cc/M9ljr
    you can google them and find alot
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

I'm not much of an electronics kind of guy, but I've often wondered if a variable voltage regulator could be used insted of a PWM and just allow the inherent resistance to regulate the maximum current...or is this limited understanding way off base? I don't have a clue about how the inner workings of a variable voltage regulator might operate.
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"

@IM2L844,
    Most high-power "variable voltage" supplies utilize a switching power supply. This involves stepping up/down the voltage using an inductor, then using a linear regulator to provide a very smooth output.

I believe what you are talking about is a linear regulator. Those are VERY inefficient. However, for very light loads - like in a simple discrete component circuit, they are just fine. For a high-power design, they waste nearly as much power as they deliver to the load.

A PWM is used to regulate the AVERAGE current, but does little to regulate voltage/current peaks across the load. It's like switching a light switch on and off really fast to adjust the brightness of a lamp. It "works", but the lamp still sees harsh peak currents.

@Phill, Im a gun nut so when ever youre done with that PWM and read to get it to me, We can meet at The gun range Im a member of, if you like to shoot that is, and Ill bring some really cool **** you can make go BOOM! Hell I can even get some targets made of choice people if ya like.
    what I like to do is spray sugar water on the targets and shoot the flys off at 50 yards.
    www.hhounderground.com