Thread: I have this idea about plating chemicals

I have this idea about plating chemicals

OK
    This may sound nuts but!

I do electroplating at home, copper and nickel cobalt plating.

What about using the copper plating solution as an electrolyte?
    Yes I know the solution is toxic Copper Sulfate, Copper chloride....

Here's the idea Plate the plates with copper, (a fairly good conductor of electricity). Build the dry cell stack as you normally would, but use the
    Plating solution as the electrolyte instead of the usually type.

The copper plates would not corrode in this electrolyte and the stack should conduct more efficiently.
    I just thought of something though over time the copper off of the anode would transfer to the cathode.

Thought anyone?

Glen
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

1. How conductive is the solution compared to KOH?
    2. Will the solution (with H2O in it ) have the ability to allow for the spillting of water?????

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    1. How conductive is the solution compared to KOH?
    2. Will the solution (with H2O in it ) have the ability to allow for the spillting of water?????
    Good questions I'll do an experament to see if HHo is being produced while using a plating solution. This will be just a simple test, open bath with two plates very small setup If I can produce a flame, then maybe it might warrent
    further investigation!
    Also mabe just nickle plate the plates, and use normal electrolyte. I don't know if that would do anything or not. need to read up on that!!
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

you may be on to something. researchers at MIT have received huge research funding exploring something very similar. Do a google search on cobalt phosphate electrolysis and you'll see what I mean. they're using some sort of water soluble type of cobalt phosphate concoction. apparantly their mix compleatly dissolves in water and when current is applied between the plates a film of cobalt phosphate developes on the positive side of the plates making the plates extreamly conductive. When current is stopped the film dissolves back into the water. they claim the process is compleatly non-toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    you may be on to something. researchers at MIT have received huge research funding exploring something very similar. Do a google search on cobalt phosphate electrolysis and you'll see what I mean. they're using some sort of water soluble type of cobalt phosphate concoction. apparantly their mix compleatly dissolves in water and when current is applied between the plates a film of cobalt phosphate developes on the positive side of the plates making the plates extreamly conductive. When current is stopped the film dissolves back into the water. they claim the process is compleatly non-toxic.
    Sound interesting.
    I like the idea of the coating coming off again.
    Mine won't be able to do that, but maybe just coating the plates in the Nickle cobalt will help lower the resistance. Then use a normal electrolyte.
    It would be a lot of work though to plate 18 plates 8X10 inches one at a time.

Started testing the idea.
    I made a container up that has a sealed lid with a hose coming out and two wire going in. I had it bubbling into a cup of water.
    the wires have two roach clips. One to hold the anode and one for the cathode.
    I set it up to electroplate a piece of metal with copper, to see if the electroplating process produces HHO and it does. I used 12 volts at about 1.6 amps. and ran the small battery I was using down to about 4 volts under load.
    It makes pretty green flames and pops
    Ummm.... not to keen on the green flame, that means there's a
    copper what ever chemical being produced with the HHO.
    Sorry can't remember the name of the copper gas it is letting off.

The next test will involve the same container, but with two pieces of stainless for the anode and cathode.