Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with cell.

Help with cell.

I am working on a Smack that is a brute force design (supposedly, I could be wrong). I have 16 ss plates that is is set up like this +nnnnnn--nnnnnn+ (i believe). Now I am having problems with HHO production. I used a little bit of the Drain cleaner as a catalyst in Distilled water and saw minimal results. I decided to put more in and saw better results. I eneded up putting a lot of it and saw a lot of bubbling and I guess a lot of gass production but not quite like I have seen in some videos. I saw a lot of foaming which I didn't see in other videos.
    I have no idea what is wrong and would like to be guided in the right direction.

which Drain cleaner ar you using? I think Drano crystal and red devil lye are about the only two you can use.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

could it possibly be something with your design?

snap a picture and post it.

What are you powering your unit with? From your car, battery, or battery charger? Since you are running so many plates, you are going to need a lot more amperage to get it to take off. I found that its not necessarily the amount of plate area as it is the power source that will be powering it. If your running 16 plates, you are going to need about 60 amps to make it take off. If you are running from your car, that aint gonna happen.

Im running 19 plates 13.8VDC off my car and pulling 13 amps. my plates are only 3"x3" so it doesnt take as much, It makes a little over 1LPM. I have a e-lyzer that has 7 9"x9" plates and it can pull 44 amps with the same e-lyte mixture. but it also puts out almost 5LPM.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Maybe it's because the plates are new and they need time to break in and
    condition?

Whats the gap width between the plate? That's important too.
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
    I am working on a Smack that is a brute force design (supposedly, I could be wrong). I have 16 ss plates that is is set up like this +nnnnnn--nnnnnn+ (i believe). Now I am having problems with HHO production. I used a little bit of the Drain cleaner as a catalyst in Distilled water and saw minimal results. I decided to put more in and saw better results. I eneded up putting a lot of it and saw a lot of bubbling and I guess a lot of gass production but not quite like I have seen in some videos. I saw a lot of foaming which I didn't see in other videos.
    I have no idea what is wrong and would like to be guided in the right direction.

When running an 8 series cell like this you will get very low HHO output from a charger if it is only 12V. When you put it into the car itself it will produce more gas as the car is 13.6V or so. The voltage is the main issue with the low gas output, but you could add more electrolyte (up to around 25% KOH or similar by weight to distilled water) and get the output up, but I would recommend a PWM to keep the heat down. I've run these cell configurations with a couple of teaspoons of KOH and no PWM without any problems. Foaming is a hassle but there are ways to deal with it via return feed bubblers etc.

An 8 series cell is certainly not 'brute force'...more like just a 'ticking over cell'. They don't run that aggressively but they are quite efficient long term, and you can run them easily without a PWM.

Buster Isnt that a 7 cell config hes running?

"edit" never mind, you said 8 series. I guess youre talking about plates in series. 8 plates, 7 cells.
    www.hhounderground.com

Yes, I just count the plates to keep it simple and avoid confusion.

Note, if you drop one plate per series to make it a 7 series the gas output will dramatically increase, but you'll need to make sure you account for the extra current (over 50A on the car) with your wires and heat, plus efficiency.....unless you use a PWM, of course, which I recommend if you go this route.

I wish Smack would explain all this stuff in his plans!!

I appreciate everyone's help on this.
    Been away for a bit dealing with other tasks.
    I began finding out info on this stuff about a couple weeks ago and never imagined there would be this much indepth knowledge to go along with it. I got some pics for you guys to look at to see that maybe its a design flaw. I'm not sure the EXACT spacing but I am using 5/16" nylon washer.

As far as the power issue. I am using a car battery attached to the car, now does it make a difference if the car is on?? After reading some replies I am assuming yes.

I figured a nother problem of mine would be the catalyst (which needs to be switched to KOH). I mean I have seen a couple videos from people using KOH and the production is just ridiculous (in a good way) and there is no foaming that I could tell.

I bought #4 wiring which can stand a load of 80 amps if I am not mistaken but only have a 40 amp fuse/relay.

To be honest I bought one of those HHO booklets online which cost about $70, thinking I could get a head faster but the directions seemed vague and definitely not in order. In my case I used the Hybrid water system. I did like a lot of his suggestions as far as materials were concerned but the booklet seemed very unorganized and a challenge, for a newbie, to get started. I has to be a step by step instruction with pictures as you go along. I spent almost 3 days finding parts because there were no pictures of a lot of things I was supposed to buy and the names he gave them (in the items column) did not match the ACTUAL name of the part.