Thread: 26ga SS 316 too thin?

26ga SS 316 too thin?

Just wondering if anyone has used such thin stainless for their cells ( or even used thinner). I'm not sure why thinner metals would make much of a difference in production but would save money. I've seen alot of thicker gauges used, and I used 18ga 304 SS and got some degree of pitting from such heat. I'm guessing 316 will withstand the heat better without pitting.

316L and 321L are supposed to be the ideal ones. I don't know about thickness

If you are doing drycell heat shouldn't be that big a deal. But you could always put inner spaces/gaskets in the middle of the plates to keep them from warping into each other.

I cant see how plates, any thickness, would warp at these relatively low heat. As long as the heat is on both sides of the plate is the same, how could it warp? Wet cells may be a different subject, but dry cells go as thin as you want. Within reason, Plate size, and gap space, plays a factor. I mean i would not build a 8"x8" dry cell with 1/32" gap out of .010 ss but a if the gap was 1/8" yeah. Just my opinion

The plates just wont last as long. How much shorter a life depends... alloy is the biggest factor IMO 316L the way to go

yeah I kind of thought that thinner metal shouldn't make much of a difference. I haven't ever hard any warp on the metal parts just on the 1/2" plexiglass end plates. I did have pitting though when my plexiglass warped and the seals failed letting KOH all over the back of the motor ( which was kind of a bummer)