Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphite VS Stainless Steel

Graphite VS Stainless Steel

Forgive me but I am at loss here.
    The use of stainless steel as electrodes creates toxic waste.
    The use of graphite as electrodes creates no toxic waste and still produces the hho.
    So why perpetuate a device where the cost for disposal of the toxic waste it produces will negate any cost benefits of the hho it produces?
    Forget stainless steel and concentrate on some type of graphite electrode.
    Possibly graphite foam, graphite wool or perforated graphite plates!
    I’ve tried off the shelf graphite gaskets which produced good gas.
    Just a thought!

Actually, this isn't the case. Please read this thread
    http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=5893

Most the people pushing this subject are the ones making money off of it, or getting themselves more attention because of it. I've seen a lot of people complain about SS then turn around and try to sell "special" Titanium plates or something like that. Riiiiight......

If graphite works for you, well then good for you. Use it. But SS is not any worse despite all the 'basement research'

In addition, higher quality SS uses Nickel or some other metal, not chromium.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrygoldsmith View Post
    Actually, this isn't the case. Please read this thread
    http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=5893

Most the people pushing this subject are the ones making money off of it, or getting themselves more attention because of it. I've seen a lot of people complain about SS then turn around and try to sell "special" Titanium plates or something like that. Riiiiight......

If graphite works for you, well then good for you. Use it. But SS is not any worse despite all the 'basement research'

In addition, higher quality SS uses Nickel or some other metal, not chromium.

I know you mean that in a nice way but…
    Actually it is the case!
    All stainless steel has a percentage of chromium!
    It’s what gives it the stainless aspect!
    For more steel info. “ http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html#1”

Also, yes, a percentage of hexavalent chromium is produced during the hho electrolytic process of stainless steal.

Try not to go on just forum hearsay or believe all that you read, research these materials yourself! Just Google it and/or better yet, ask a chemistry professor!

And, LOL, no I do not sale graphite or any other electrode material.
    I’m as poor as poor can be and I’m simply trying to come up with a responsible, non-polluting alternative!

After all isn’t that the best thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by cbr549 View Post

Try not to go on just forum hearsay or believe all that you read, research these materials yourself! Just Google it and/or better yet, ask a chemistry professor!
    I did about a week ago. My neighbor teaches over at the local university. He said that there is Chromium in a lot of SS, but the higher grades don't have it (which you are right, most of them seem to have at least some) but he also said there is no evidence of leeching out.

And, LOL, no I do not sale graphite or any other electrode material.
    I’m as poor as poor can be and I’m simply trying to come up with a responsible, non-polluting alternative!
    sorry dude, wasn't trying to accuse you of that! I was just pointing out that some of the hype on this HexChromate leakage has been mostly done by those trying to sell.

Though if you HAD good graphite for cheaper than the higher grade SS and it produced good gas..... I'd probably look at it

I'm skeptical. I've seen so much stuff on both sides, and very little actual testing. So if you want to use Graphite, more power to you. seriously.

[QUOTE=jerrygoldsmith;34774]I did about a week ago. My neighbor teaches over at the local university. He said that there is Chromium in a lot of SS, but the higher grades don't have it (which you are right, most of them seem to have at least some) but he also said there is no evidence of leeching out.
    QUOTE]

Heres a thought, see if that neighbor would test a sample of your electrolyte for the Hexavalent Chromium.
    Given the popularity of using SS, this could be of great benefit to all!

Heres a thought, see if that neighbor would test a sample of your electrolyte for the Hexavalent Chromium.
    Given the popularity of using SS, this could be of great benefit to all!
    that.... is a darned good idea! I'll see if I can't talk him into it next time I see him!

Contrary to popular belief, the use of ss plates does not create hexavalent chromium deposits. Any ss decay is caused by pushing the curent density above .05 amps per sq. in. of active surface. Nick (IM2L844) has done lots of research on this, as well as biggy boy. There is absolutely no scientific proof that this problem exists.

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the use of ss plates does not create hexavalent chromium deposits. Any ss decay is caused by pushing the curent density above .05 amps per sq. in. of active surface. Nick (IM2L844) has done lots of research on this, as well as biggy boy. There is absolutely no scientific proof that this problem exists.
    Well...Ok then, is there any scientific proof that hexavalent chromium deposits do not exist with the use of ss plates?

I challenge anyone to prove that it is not!

Just a thought but... if someone were to manufacture HHO generation units for profit with full knowledge of even the possiblity that said units produce hexavalent chromium waste material and... claimed otherwise, it could eventually lead to a legal mell of a hess!

My point is, why take that chance when there are alternatives?

Well...Ok then, is there any scientific proof that hexavalent chromium deposits do not exist with the use of ss plates?

I challenge anyone to prove that it is not!

Just a thought but... if someone were to manufacture HHO generation units for profit with full knowledge of even the possiblity that said units produce hexavalent chromium waste material and... claimed otherwise, it could eventually lead to a legal mell of a hess!

My point is, why take that chance when there are alternatives?
    Hey moron, Lack of evidence is not proof of your point. You say there is, someone else says there is no proof there is.
    So you respond demanding proof that there ISN'T?!?!?

Well, I demand proof then, that Stainless Steel isn't derived from the horns of UNICORNS. BECAUSE I BELEIVE STAINLESS STEEL IS DERIVED FROM UNICORN HORNS, AND IF YOU CAN'T PROVE OTHERWISE IT SHOWS I'M RIGHT!

WOOOOOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by korlj View Post
    Hey moron, Lack of evidence is not proof of your point. You say there is, someone else says there is no proof there is.
    So you respond demanding proof that there ISN'T?!?!?

Well, I demand proof then, that Stainless Steel isn't derived from the horns of UNICORNS. BECAUSE I BELEIVE STAINLESS STEEL IS DERIVED FROM UNICORN HORNS, AND IF YOU CAN'T PROVE OTHERWISE IT SHOWS I'M RIGHT!

WOOOOOOT!
    Why is it whenever you show up, you say something rude and mean?