Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEGS - Thermoelectric Generators

Let me get this straight..... Richard, you plan on using these TEGs to generate power, yet you even say you will require fans to keep the other side cool.

Basically, you're going to produce MAYBE 5W, and use up 4W to power the fans/pumps. Genius.

Also, Richard, for the love of god, please post your replies in ONE post. It clutters the forum when you do 500 replies. The forum software is set up to display 10 posts per page, so your habits tend to take up half a page when you could have easily said it all in ONE post.

As for your actual idea... It won't work. I can tell you right now. You just aren't going to get 12V@10A out of a small module. You will need about 1 sq. meter of junctions to get anywhere near that much power out of them. You do realize that is 120W, right?

EDIT: After looking at the fine print, you're right Richard - you won't find anything that beats those prices. The reason, is that you didn't read it right... They modules DO NOT put out 12V when you provide a temp differential. They have a Seebeck coefficient of about 0.036 to 0.042 V/K. LOL I don't think you understand these things all that well... The Seebeck coefficient is basically how much electron drift occurs per unit of temperature difference. Basically, if you had a 200degree C temperature difference, you would get around 4V or so out of the unit. That's 200 degrees C... Nearly 400F. Your wiring will melt. On top of that, that is 4V with an internal resistance of 0.35 ohms(model TEC1-12730T200). That means that the maximum power that this thing can crank out is 22.85W with an output voltage of about 2V(maximum power transfer theorem... Basic EE stuff).

You can try this if you want, but I'm telling you - it's a total waste of money and time. I did the math on this, man... Take my word or do what you want. Whatever.

his fans run on love phill. phill I think Im going ot make you a sweat band with a TEG built in it and a string of red LED lights all the way around. when you get the lights will light up. There will be a photoshoot involved as well.

Man Dicky Poo is over in his attention thread wundering why Buster isnt getting cussed at because of his claims of 100% gains, while Dicky Poo claims 1000% gains an expects everyone to take his word for it. he doesnt understand the difference between logical/credible and prevarication. Im done with "woo hoo everyone look at me" thread because its no longer based on the original system which turned out to be fictitious anyways.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

I don't think he even cares about the issue anymore. If you'll notice, he bumped the thread 5 consecutive times when no one replied. There are many comments in those posts that are clearly trying to incite more "cussing". He's trolling the thread and the forum now. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Philldpapill View Post
    Let me get this straight..... Richard, you plan on using these TEGs to generate power, yet you even say you will require fans to keep the other side cool.

Basically, you're going to produce MAYBE 5W, and use up 4W to power the fans/pumps. Genius.

Also, Richard, for the love of god, please post your replies in ONE post. It clutters the forum when you do 500 replies. The forum software is set up to display 10 posts per page, so your habits tend to take up half a page when you could have easily said it all in ONE post.

As for your actual idea... It won't work. I can tell you right now. You just aren't going to get 12V@10A out of a small module. You will need about 1 sq. meter of junctions to get anywhere near that much power out of them. You do realize that is 120W, right?

EDIT: After looking at the fine print, you're right Richard - you won't find anything that beats those prices. The reason, is that you didn't read it right... They modules DO NOT put out 12V when you provide a temp differential. They have a Seebeck coefficient of about 0.036 to 0.042 V/K. LOL I don't think you understand these things all that well... The Seebeck coefficient is basically how much electron drift occurs per unit of temperature difference. Basically, if you had a 200degree C temperature difference, you would get around 4V or so out of the unit. That's 200 degrees C... Nearly 400F. Your wiring will melt. On top of that, that is 4V with an internal resistance of 0.35 ohms(model TEC1-12730T200). That means that the maximum power that this thing can crank out is 22.85W with an output voltage of about 2V(maximum power transfer theorem... Basic EE stuff).

You can try this if you want, but I'm telling you - it's a total waste of money and time. I did the math on this, man... Take my word or do what you want. Whatever.
    wow this guy follow me around this forum and try to tell me how much stuff will not work bla bla bla, ok phill i will use 8 CPU case fans that use 0.25AMP each so that will be a total of 2AMPS for the fans and for the pump i will be using the pump on the back of the alternator(almost zero drag). as for the TEGs i was not hoping to get full power out of them but if i can get half the amount of power each TEG all i would have to do to get what i want(200AMPS) is just add more TEGs also its a very good thing the coolant/water temperature is not up to the top temperature of the TEGs because that might lower their life span. phill relax man, this plan is full proof its just that people couldnt get TEGs at a low price before. i plan to buy a potential 400AMPS at about $0.50 per AMP so that would cost me $200 and i am sure i can get 200AMPS out of them with the temperature difference i will provide. so now phill 200AMPS worst case scenario and just 2AMPS for the fans for a total setup cost of about $300 and it works better than an alternator that's why BMW start using it plus it helps your car to save on power as the coolant WILL lose heat when pass through the TEG system so the radiator fan wont work as hard(it wont turn on as often to cool the radiator) saving power, plus adding power to the car's electrical system as the cells wont be using the full amount of power that the TEG system will be making because when the car is driving the cooling will be better than when its just parked. so no matter how you dont want it to work for me, it WILL it might never work for you but it WILL for me!!!!!!

Talking

oh yea one more thing, phill this is not your thread or forum and im not using your computer so why do you think you can tell me what to do? i will post and you will have to love it and live with it for the rest of your life and i can use this smiley as much as i like take that and this LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*slaps palm against forehead in frustration*

Richard, go start your own thread or something. I don't want to repeatedly tell you WHY it won't work, and then have you come back with some sort of non-thought out, jury rigged plan that makes no mathematical/engineering sense.

The CPU fans are insanity. Did you not read a word I said? You just aren't going to get the needed power. You will need so many TEGs that the sheer weight of it all will start cutting into your gas mileage before you get any kind of gains! THAT is how ludicrous this is. Using one CPU fan on a single PJ may get you a 50-75 degree differential, MAYBE. At those levels, you're lucky to get 2-3V open circuit out of one PJ. If the internal resistance is 0.35 ohms, the maximum power you can get out of one of those is between 5.7W - 12.8W. Remember, this is the BEST CASE scenario. If you are using a CPU fan that is 12V, 0.25A, that is 3W being used up right there alone. Now, your net power is down to 2.7W - 9.8W. That upper limit SOUNDS pretty good, right?... That's at 1V - 1.5V. I SUPPOSE you could put some of these in series, but that isn't a good idea as some PJ's will be at different temperatures and this will cause problems which I don't want to go into.

Now, do you see that even with the BEST CASE, you MIGHT get a net of about $2 per watt? In reality, you're probably looking at more like 5W for one of those $20 units(the best ones in your link). Unless you are talking about buying 500 of these TEGs(about $10,000 at $20 a pop)... You know what - I take it back. It's just stupid. Plain and simple.

EDIT: Richard, you do realize that you can get 1,000A from a 0.1V source, right?

Talking

ok here we go, this will end it. ok phill you are right it wont work, its not working for Nasa, BMW and none of the 100,000,000+ people who have buy them so it wont work for me eider, what was i thinking. you like this post phill? now get off my case, there i said its not working and will never work i hope ur happy now LOL.

Talking

now back to the thread, i know for sure that an transmission cooler can get cooler than ambient air because i have worked on turbo charged cars and after driving the intercooler gets cooler than the ambient air and thats without and fans(just the breeze from driving) and even though a intercooler cools air or charged air, the same laws apply to both the transcooler and the intercooler.

here is some info as to how they work
    http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html

i will add more links soon

why dont you just get one already and stop yapping about it. Ide say prove what you say but we all know how that goes. You'ld think with all the money youre saving by getting 300MPG you would have already bought a small one to start testing.

Hey Richand. If you fill up your car with gas, how far can you drive it before you run out of gas? try not to beat around the bush, I know you say you never use more then a 1/4 tank so you should know how far your entire tank will get you. just answer the quesion with a number.

You would think, being that you are doing this for you, to save and make money like you made very clear, you would get a job as a courier, a taxi driver, a transporter of some type. you would rake in the $. I just wanted to through another log on your fire.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Richard, your second link in Post #5 of this thread is not set up correctly, can you please fix? Thanks