Thread: using salt and cleaning out the chlorine

Lightbulb using salt and cleaning out the chlorine

im sure almost everyone here knows that using salt as an electrolyte makes HHO and chlorine gas, which is bad (the chlorine part anyway)....... well a simple solution is to get rid of it, right? and im also sure that most of u immediately think of bubblers as a solution. well why should we have only one option??? what is the possibility of a filter that removes the chlorine or rather turns it into something useful like what a catalytic converter does to exhaust gasses. this seems to be a great theory in my opinion. it would almost be like having an HHO catalytic converter. maybe my mind is operating outside the realm of physics. on the other hand i might be opening the door for a competitor to the bubbler monopoly. any thoughts?

Well,

A catalytic converter basically burns off the excess fuel that is not burned by the engine. Since we are trying to create a flammable gas, it seems counter intuitive to the process. However your filter idea sounds possible. The real show stopper for most with salt, is its extreme corrosiveness. Engines are not cheap, so most people just avoid testing with the stuff.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

well the catalytic converter doesnt burn anything. what it does is use platinum, rhodium, and pallidium as catalysts to turn exhaust gasses (co, nox, hc, and o2) into less harmfull substanses (co2, h20, and reduced amounts of nox). but we dont have to deal with hydrocarbons or nox so im looking to find something thatll turn that chlorine into something useable or just get rid of it.