Thread: Zero PWM

Zero PWM

Any one use or have a comment on the CCPWM v2.1 made and sold by Zero?

http://alt-nrg.org/store.html

How much do your PWM's sell for? Do you have a web page?

Red face

Never mind. I found your page..

How does this EFIE compare to yours? The FS2 Quad Digital EFIE Basic is what I am look to purchase very soon.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/store/i...roducts_id=196

also info here
    http://hydrogengarage.com/volo.html

Shane, just curious... How are you able to handle 150A continuous??? The wire you seem to be using looks like 8AWG(?). I mean, you CAN make a PWM to handle that much current, but where are you getting your ratings from? Just because a MOSFET's maximum ratings are 150A, does, by no means, mean you can(or should) get near them. Generally, derating to 1/4 of the stated maximum value(with good heat sinking and dissipation practices), is a bit more safe. I've seen this design before, and I don't doubt that it works at lower currents, but stating the CONTINUOUS rating of 150A doesn't seem correct. I mean, if at the very least, the insulation on your wires would melt off at those power levels.

I'm not trying to bad mouth your product - many people have bought it and I have yet to see a complaint. However, it might be a little better to derate it considerably... It's far better to say a product can 100% reliably work under such-and-such conditions, rather than risk it and over-rate your product just to sell more(and then have some fail dangerously).

Based on the MOSFET specs, it might be better to rate this for 75A continuous, in an open-air surrounding, with 150A surge. That 150A surge being peak currents, and not a sustained surge for more than 1 second... I say this because I'm designing a power supply(not just a PWM), and I know some people that buy a product sometimes say "ahhh they SAY 100A, but I'm sure they just underrated it... Let's try 150A and see how it does!!!". The next thing you know, you've got a lawsuit because some dumba$$ did something stupid and you didn't put enough headroom in for the idiot-effect.

Just my two cents. Again, I don't doubt the design, but some people always try to push stuff beyond what you stated, and it might be better to allow more room in there to compensate.

Just curious, doesn't that capacitor get blazing hot?

No, no, no... Not due to the wire, but from the ESR of the capacitor. If you are dealing with >50A, you are going to have some serious ripple currents. Any inductance from the wires going from the battery/alternator/Load, will only make the ripple currents even higher, causing even higher power dissipation with the capacitor. I mean, it's fine if your cap doesn't reach it's temperature limit, but I'm just curious if it actually gets "hot" to the touch after running for a while.

Yeah, I saw the specs for the same capacitor you have in your pictures. It is "low ESR", but I've been having a similiar problem with my own design, so that's why I was curious. I, however, am using a bunch of 1,000uF caps in parallel on a PCB. It's a little cheaper, and I THINK the total ESR is actually lower by a factor of 10. In addition, there is more surface area in total for power dissipation.