Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me fix my cell.

Sunday update.

Changed electrolyte to KOH. 2 lbs of 90% flakes to about 2/3 gallon of distilled water, which according to the chart should give me 28%

No real change. When I unhook the jumpers I still get only about 10 amps at 85% duty cycle and few bubbles. With all the jumpers in place I get 26 amps at 37% duty cycle, but only about .4 lpm per cell when checked with bottle method. I'm also seeing some vapors coming out the hose, even though the cells and electrolyte feel cool.

These cells are square with the inside of the gasket measuring 4.75 inches. There are a total of 8 316 stainless plates arranged +nnnnnn-

These cells were both brand new, and the stainless was very clean, but very slick. I've currently got them hooked to an external power supply bubbling away. I've heard that it sometimes can take several hours for the plates to "burn in" before they really start producing. I hope this is true, but I'm really starting to get discouraged.

Any help greatly appreciated
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    Sunday update.

Changed electrolyte to KOH. 2 lbs of 90% flakes to about 2/3 gallon of distilled water, which according to the chart should give me 28%

No real change. When I unhook the jumpers I still get only about 10 amps at 85% duty cycle and few bubbles. With all the jumpers in place I get 26 amps at 37% duty cycle, but only about .4 lpm per cell when checked with bottle method. I'm also seeing some vapors coming out the hose, even though the cells and electrolyte feel cool.

These cells are square with the inside of the gasket measuring 4.75 inches. There are a total of 8 316 stainless plates arranged +nnnnnn-

These cells were both brand new, and the stainless was very clean, but very slick. I've currently got them hooked to an external power supply bubbling away. I've heard that it sometimes can take several hours for the plates to "burn in" before they really start producing. I hope this is true, but I'm really starting to get discouraged.

Any help greatly appreciated
    Steve
    Check the voltage at your cell and devide it by 7. If you are much below 2.3 volts than you have too many neutral plates. 28% KOH in that cell should be drawing way more than 10 amps. With your cell in your trunk I would bet that you are at or close to 13 volts. 6 Neutral plates is too many for that voltage. My guess is that if you go to 5 neutral plates with 28% KOH your amp draw and production will jump.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Thanks for your advice, Larry. I did check the voltage. With the pwm set for 100% duty cycle, my voltage from terminal to terminal was 13.2 volts. From terminal to 1st plate was 1.97 volts. I thought 2 volts was the target? Do you think .3 volts would make that much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    Thanks for your advice, Larry. I did check the voltage. With the pwm set for 100% duty cycle, my voltage from terminal to terminal was 13.2 volts. From terminal to 1st plate was 1.97 volts. I thought 2 volts was the target? Do you think .3 volts would make that much difference?
    Yes, It will make tons of difference in amp draw and production especially with a stainless cell. I have never heard of anyone making a 6 N cell work on automotive voltage.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    I've been reading a lot of the thread to get my feet wet. I read in this thread about the percentage of KOH, 28% and a chart was mentioned. How does one calculate the KOH percentage you are using and where can I get the chart they speak of.

Since I am new at this I am using a teaspoon to measure the amount I was mixing with distilled water. Currently I am using a tablespoon per 1/2 gl. for two cell with three 2"X6" SS plates with 1/4" seperation. Have not tested for ouput aside from hooking up a torch and produce an 1" long flame.

sorry If I am stealing the thread.
    It is really quite simple. First get a decent digital kitchen scale. Then weigh the water you want to use. For this calculation lets say that you have 4 pounds of water. So 4 pounds of water equals 64 ounces by weight.

Take the 64 and devide by 72. You then have .889. Multiply that .889 X 100. You get 88.9.

You are shooting for 88.9 ounces of total solution. Take the 88.9 ounces and subtract the origional 64 ounces of water. You now need to add 24.9 ounces of KOH by weight. You now have a solution of 28% KOH by weight.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    Thanks for the education Larry. I am going to clean my system and start out with this mix.
    Be careful with that strong a mix. First it is VERY caustic and will cause severe chemical burns. Second if your cell is vulnerable to much current leakage then your effeciency may go down instead of up.

Larry

Here is a link to a web page that has tons of information about KOH, including a chart that shows you exactly how much of 90% grade KOH to add to a gallon of distilled water to reach certain percentages. It also give you the specific gravity of varying concentrations so you can check your electrolyte with a battery hydrometer to verify your concentration.

http://www.ashtachemicals.com/products/kohchem.htm