Quote Originally Posted by dataman19 View Post
Just a few point about Hydrogen as a motor fuel.
My data comes from a project where we built 120 Ford F-150's that ran on anhydrous (pure) Hydrogen.....
1 KG of hydrogen equates to 1 gallon of gasoline.
Hydrogen will tend to displace all other gases in a combustion chamber and will not allow for natural ingestion of other gasses (ie no air into the combustion chamber).
Air has to be force fed (in other words - we cheated and used a super charger).
HHO has the advantage of already having the oxygen - so there is less issues with the hydrogen displacing the air or oxygen.
The problem with a hydrogen fueled internal combustion engine is the fact that hydrogen will rapidly fill the combustion chamber, literally covering all the available space and leave no room for air.
Most hydrogen fired engines fire after top dead center. This is because hydrogen gas will not compress after ignition - it will only expand exponentially. So the engine must fire after top dead center.
Hydrogen Injectors are readily available, since gaseous motor fuels are already commonly available. Ever heard of LPG Injectors? Or even better - CNG Injectors?
As for compressing Hydrogen with any air - I shutter to think of the hazards. Since Hydrogen is explosive and volatile in mixtures as low as 14% of hydrogen by volume.
Still - Hydrogen as a motor fuel goes back to the 1930's - a long time. Now if we can get this on-site production barrier licked we can get on with it...
dataman19
It's funny, we considered a supercharger, but we wanted to use it to compensate for the power loss.

with the injectors, that wouldn't matter, right? You could inject the fuel after the air charge was brought in.

can you give me any leads on where to get these injectors?