Thread: Bench test power supply question

Bench test power supply question

what do you guys use for a bench test power supply and what do you recommend? the one i was looking at (20600E high current power supply ac/dc) maxes out at 15A. would like something up to 50A or around that range...and something easy to use. What do you guys think?

thanks,
    -Steve

You probably won't find one for under $300. I've tried finding one that will put out about that much, but the price range is a little too high. My solution is to build one. I'm shooting for an output of 75A continuous, and 100A peak for short durations(<1minute). I've been shopping around for the parts need, and I think I can do it for about $100 cost. Running some simulations of the parts I plan on using, I'm getting a ripple voltage of about 2V at 75A, 13.8V. That's pretty bad for professional standards, but for HHO, it's not too shabby.

i c i c ....thanks...i was afraid it might be spendy lol. i'll just stick with jumper cables to my running car :-)

I use a diamond Antenna GVZ400 and it it great. They are made for ham radios and are good for up to 15 volts and 40 amps. Also they are very light. I bought mine at the Ham Radio Outlet in Burbank, CA for $189. I'm sure you can find them online, just Google the model number. Also, here is a link to a 60 amp power supply made by a company called TENMA for $315, I just can't vouch for it: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...Y-MCM-/72-7655

Good Luck!

I used to use a battery charger but it kept overheating and turning off. Now I use a 13.8 vdc, 50 amp power supply made by Tripplite, model PR50. For around $275.
    Red Rat

Why not just use a alternator coupled to an electric motor mounted on a board? Just a thought....
    C

Quote Originally Posted by chuggins143 View Post
    Why not just use a alternator coupled to an electric motor mounted on a board? Just a thought....
    C

interesting...i like it

Quote Originally Posted by chuggins143 View Post
    C
    Use AC, ---------- to run a motor, --------- to run a alternator, -------- to make AC, -------- that converts AC to DC.

Or, use a converter that turns AC to DC. Just a different thought.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

The reason I suggested using a alternator is because it's what you'll probably be using in the end. I know that driving a alt with a AC motor isn't efficient, but it will make it easier to translate to an engine once you have everything else worked out.

C