Thread: assembling dry cell, would like pointers for a first timer

assembling dry cell, would like pointers for a first timer

I am assembling my dry cell tomorrow and would appreciate any pointers
    anyone could give. The cell is going to be 25 plates configured as -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn- The plates were bead plasted, washed in an ultrasonic cleaner, rinced, dried with heat gun, then put in a bag waiting for assembly. Should they be further preped in anyway before assembly? Any info is helpful.

Re: assembling dry cell, would like pointers for a first timer

Bob Boyce says crisscross sanding with super fine grit ( can find at Auto paint supply) with that you ad max surface area to plates also 1/8th of an inch between each plate for higher production, each PWM will perform differently so the 4 neutral between each neg or pos plate may need to be adjusted since I don't have the exact measurements of your 1st time set up and do not see exact variables ( I can not unless I were there in person) it will be a lot of trial and error to "dial" it in just right for maximum output
    Hope I gave ya some pointers
    Job 28:25
    God said it, so be it.
    Science will catch up sooner or later.
    ~Reverend Joe~

The last step before assembly is a solvent cleaning to pull out any oils on the plate surface. Acetone works well, Isopropyl Alcohol is also good. Some other observations I have made when assembling plates. Do not mark them with a marker. The areas marked with ink will inhibit gas production. The plates I pulled out of my old electrolizers were corroded looking except where the ink was. ( I serialized mine to track them for experimentations sake). Another thing to do when assembling clean plates is not to touch them with bare hands. Use latex gloves. The oils from your hands will leave marks and inhibit production. You will eventually see your finger prints all over the plates.
    Red Rat