Thread: 25% KOH way to go

25% KOH way to go

Cut-To-the-Chase: So all of you running 4 or less plates, you are wasting energy...go with 5N and up the KOH to 25% or greater, you will like the efficiency.

I just installed a generator unit on a rig. The unit has 5N instead of 4N and with 25% and greater KOH solution this thing kicks @SS!

To my surprise when its icy out and the generator has been in the freezing temps, when turned on it fires right up to it's max output without warming up. I also notice the amps stabilize right away and not half to worry about them climbing when it warms up as much as 4N plate cell. Larry is right(and so are some of you) about using 25% or greater KOH solution.

Chase

Chase,
    You're right about that! I run 6 bi-polar (neutral) plates per cell with 28% KOH, and it runs cool, draw is stable & the E/lyte will never freeze!
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Chase,
    You're right about that! I run 6 bi-polar (neutral) plates per cell with 28% KOH, and it runs cool, draw is stable & the E/lyte will never freeze!
    Yeah, people like me who get into this build a 4N cell and get excited about the motion of output it's doing when in reality it's inefficient.

When we installed a trucker unit(pics coming soon) we got the 25% KOH on ourselves and it wasn't that bad, especially wipe it off with a rag in time...LOL!

yea I like the 6N 7N config as well. and how did you get 25% KOH? If its 9X % KOH and not 100% KOH you'll have to compinsate your math for that.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Quote Originally Posted by Helz_McFugly View Post
    yea I like the 6N 7N config as well. and how did you get 25% KOH? If its 9X % KOH and not 100% KOH you'll have to compinsate your math for that.

I'm pretty sure it's around 99% KOH hence it's very expensive and NOT made in China...LOL!

OK, noob question: How do you mix your 25% or 28% KOH? By weight or volume? I have mixed two ways. 1. By current draw of the cell and 2. Poured in crystals until the water was saturated.
    Red Rat

Quote Originally Posted by redrat100 View Post
    OK, noob question: How do you mix your 25% or 28% KOH? By weight or volume? I have mixed two ways. 1. By current draw of the cell and 2. Poured in crystals until the water was saturated.
    Answered my own question. Should have searched first, thanks Phil.

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=6127
    Red Rat

Not exactly. KOH is much more soluble than 28%. At room temperature (77 F) you can disolve approximately 1,200 grams of KOH in 1 liter of water (1000 grams) for a concentration of 120% (by weight) before any precipitates will fall out of the solution.

The reason you don't want to use concentrations higher that 28% is that conductivity starts to fall off at that point. There are several theories as to why this happens.

One is that the ions begin to associate with one another and start to form neutral pairs. I only vaguely understood about half of what I was reading in that white paper, so my eyes began to glaze over and that's about all I can remember about it.
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"