Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydroxy thermal energy is _______ BTU/liter ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Hydroxy thermal energy is _______ BTU/liter ?

We are all exploring Hydroxy.

What is its nature?

How much heat is there in a liter?

We know that straight hydrogen has 10 BTU/liter.

Is it more or less than that?

Shouldn't we also know the value for Hydroxy?

Why is this fundamental value so elusive?

BoyntonStu

Smith03Jetta Guest
    This value is not elusive. It's just that we are not chemists. Go on some Chemistry Forum and ask them.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    This value is not elusive. It's just that we are not chemists. Go on some Chemistry Forum and ask them.
    Not chemists and playing chemistry does not make for a safe toy.

BoyntonStu

Best I could find on the internet. Burning 18 grams releases 242000 Joules of heat energy or 229.5 btu. Found here. http://www.phact.org/e/bgas.htm
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

cougar gt-e Guest
    Found this on the net under "How things work"

Hydrogen weighs just 0.08988 grams per liter

So using Stratous' numbers, 1 gram releases 13,444 joules or 12.5 BTU

1 Liter of hydrogen weighs 0.08988 grams so 1 liter of hydrogen contains 1.1 BTU of energy.

To get that 1 liter of hydrogen, you would need to generate 1.5 liter of gas from the electrolyzer. Many report 1 liter per minute total gas, so there is 3/4 of a BTU being added per minute (not much).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cougar gt-e View Post
    Found this on the net under "How things work"

Hydrogen weighs just 0.08988 grams per liter

So using Stratous' numbers, 1 gram releases 13,444 joules or 12.5 BTU

1 Liter of hydrogen weighs 0.08988 grams so 1 liter of hydrogen contains 1.1 BTU of energy.

To get that 1 liter of hydrogen, you would need to generate 1.5 liter of gas from the electrolyzer. Many report 1 liter per minute total gas, so there is 3/4 of a BTU being added per minute (not much).
    That is for Hydrogen.

Hydroxy has ____BTU/liter ?

BoyntonStu

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Best I could find on the internet. Burning 18 grams releases 242000 Joules of heat energy or 229.5 btu. Found here. http://www.phact.org/e/bgas.htm
    Thanks,

I found it:

"Suppose we wanted to run an internal combustion engine on this gas. How much energy would we get out? If we burn Brown's Gas we get pure water vapor. Burning 18 grams releases 242000 Joules of heat energy or 229.5 btu. (Allowing the vapor to condense would yield an additional 44500 joules, 42.4 btu, but in any conventional engine this output would only appear as waste heat and will be ignored.)

Thus if we drove an engine with 168 grams of gas per hour we would be putting 2.26 million joules per hour of heat energy into it. Operating at a plausible combustion temperature the thermal efficiency might be as high as 50% so we would get out 1.13 million joules per hour or 314 joules per second, that is 314 watts.

The bottom line is that we have put in about a kilowatt of electrical energy to get out under a third as much in mechanical energy. Considering that the efficiency of an electric motor would be over 85% there is no justification at all for using a Brown's Gas generator and an internal combustion engine. An electric motor would do better at less cost and with far greater reliability."

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Thanks,

I found it:

"Suppose we wanted to run an internal combustion engine on this gas. How much energy would we get out? If we burn Brown's Gas we get pure water vapor. Burning 18 grams releases 242000 Joules of heat energy or 229.5 btu. (Allowing the vapor to condense would yield an additional 44500 joules, 42.4 btu, but in any conventional engine this output would only appear as waste heat and will be ignored.)

Thus if we drove an engine with 168 grams of gas per hour we would be putting 2.26 million joules per hour of heat energy into it. Operating at a plausible combustion temperature the thermal efficiency might be as high as 50% so we would get out 1.13 million joules per hour or 314 joules per second, that is 314 watts.

The bottom line is that we have put in about a kilowatt of electrical energy to get out under a third as much in mechanical energy. Considering that the efficiency of an electric motor would be over 85% there is no justification at all for using a Brown's Gas generator and an internal combustion engine. An electric motor would do better at less cost and with far greater reliability."

BoyntonStu
    We are not trying to run our vehicles off hydroxy, as we know that it takes more energy to create hydroxy using electrolysis than we get out of the hydroxy. What we are doing in using the hydroxy to increase the crappy efficiency of the ICE. If we can increase the efficiency from 25% to 35%, then its well worth it. Not to mention the decreased emissions. You confuse us with your tactics sir, sometimes I think your on board with us in this venture, and then you post like above with no other opinion. Do you or do you not believe in what we are doing here.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

HomeGrown Guest

BoyntonStu
    No, the REAL bottom line is MPG. As it turns out, most modern vehicles have an alternator, which pumps out all the electricity we need. So what if the alternator has to work harder (i.e. consuming more power from the engine). If the net result is more MPG, then we have increased REAL WORLD efficiency where it counts most: at the gas pump.

"An electric motor would do better at less cost...."

Less cost than WHAT? And don't tell me "operating cost". Do you honestly think you can convert a vehicle to electric power cheaper than you can build and install an HHO system?

Have at it, good luck with that.

bobcampbell Guest

Please show me the math

Thanks,

I found it:

BoyntonStu

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to follow your math. Would you please show us the math behind this conclusion.