ummm no... i find that most hho folks throw out all kinds of theories about car engines that are just flat wrong, and it's mainly because they just don't know. they tend not to be car guys. so i'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never done any dyno tuning. it's quite easy to get the ecu to change all kinds of parameters throughout the entire rpm range. tuners do it all the time. hell in ford's new tivct motors you can change the valve train timing up to 60 degrees anywhere you choose in the rpm range with nothing more than a laptop.
Charlie, I guess I have not met the right tuner. Everyone I have asked to do what I want says that it is not possible or illegal. Maybe you could point me in the right direction. If this is possible I know many HHO enthusiasts and manufactures who would be knocking at their door. Unless the cost is prohibitive and illegal (not passed by CARB, EPA) I will be first in line. The solutions that are available that are legal and not to expensive are very limited as far as results go.