Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Design being played with

c02cutter Guest

Design being played with

This is representation of a cell design I have been playing with. All materials 316 stainless steel, with nylon shoulder washers and flat washers for isolation. Currently I am using the same design without all the small holes in it as shown in the original disc pdf. The one in the concept design I will cut today, but will not be able to test till tomorrow. This was based as a heavy duty replacement for mason jar style cells but can be adapted to larger configurations also.

original disc

new concept

daveczrn Guest
    the holes are intresting... what are their purpose? I've done plate setups with a small screw and nuts holding everything in place... that works pretty well. I would recomend maybe a 3rd connector that doesn't even need to touch anything... it would just keep the sides of the plates from touching.

Good luck with it... i would like to know how it turns out.

c02cutter Guest
    The sides of the plates can't touch as the material is .062" stainless steel it is way beyond rigid. The cell assembled is really strong, and is about bullet proof. The holes are just to help release the gas as it builds up under the plates. Doing bench tests with the solid plate design I observed that this would possibly be an idea to try.

kajreklaw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by c02cutter View Post
    The sides of the plates can't touch as the material is .062" stainless steel it is way beyond rigid. The cell assembled is really strong, and is about bullet proof. The holes are just to help release the gas as it builds up under the plates. Doing bench tests with the solid plate design I observed that this would possibly be an idea to try.
    great design, it resembles a TERO CELL (a Bob Boyce design).. from the latest/new design pdf you've got 10plates, are they all + | - .. or are there any neutrals???

btw, what prigram are you using to draw/make the picture?? I mean before you pdf-it?

c02cutter Guest
    I forgot about this material I had in the shop. This is micro mesh Stainless. Might not be any good, but I'm going to play with it just cause I can. Even if it works really well it would not be an economical solution as the price of this stuff is very rude.

HomeGrown Guest
    I recognize that standard drawing sheet, and I want to say Inventor, but it could be SolidWorks.

What are you cutting that material with? Looks extremely neat, almost like waterjet. Lots of surface area on that material, I imagine it would produce pretty well! BTW. love the design!

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by c02cutter View Post
    I thought this stuff might work VERY well for the neutral plates, not the anodes/cathodes.

Anybody else's comments please?

c02cutter Guest
    I use Solidworks, Autocad, Bobcad, Rhino and Spacecam... All depends on what I am doing at any given moment. As for cutting this mesh disc was cut using a Mazak Space Gear 48, 2kw laser. I also have a Mazak Space Gear 510 with a 4kw laser. Also 6 other 900w machines, older Laserdyne 780's.

HomeGrown Guest
    LOTS of high-end equipment there, 02.

Dennis, that makes good sense about it being well suited for neutral plates (from my limited knowledge, anyway ).

Wouldnt using perforated sheetmetal increase current leakage?
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG